The Low GPA Question, With A Twist

TwoNineBrainGuy

Question

So, I know this question gets asked a lot, but I'll go ahead and throw some more fuel on the fire. Honestly, I could just use some opinions.

I recently graduated with a 2.99 GPA (yes, I know that most programs will truncate that to 2.9). My GRE scores are 169 quantitative, 170 verbal and 6 writing. 

I'll spare everone the details, but I've almost died twice during my undergrad from unavoidable health nonsense. The two instances have also been spaced far enough apart that my transcripts just look like utter garbage from start to finish.

I applied for Fall 2017 admission to a few Microbiology PhD programs that are mostly ranked top 30 - 50. I also have about 5 years of research experience under my belt and have presented at 8 or 9 conferences so far. I haven't published any papers yet, always seem to end up in the hospital at the most inopportune times and what not.

I'm not expecting to get into any programs this cycle, because I assume the grade filter will pick me off for the sub 3.0 gpa.

Which brings me to my question, do I really have any possibility of a future in academia with an undergrad gpa that low? Also, what can I do to improve myself at this point?

My GPA is too low for both phd programs and masters, but I've recently read up on taking graduate classes as a non-degree seeking student. Would that help?

Sorry for the long post, just looking for some ideas really.

1 answer to this question

3 minutes ago, TwoNineBrainGuy said:

So, I know this question gets asked a lot, but I'll go ahead and throw some more fuel on the fire. Honestly, I could just use some opinions.

I recently graduated with a 2.99 GPA (yes, I know that most programs will truncate that to 2.9). My GRE scores are 169 quantitative, 170 verbal and 6 writing. 

I'll spare everone the details, but I've almost died twice during my undergrad from unavoidable health nonsense. The two instances have also been spaced far enough apart that my transcripts just look like utter garbage from start to finish.

I applied for Fall 2017 admission to a few Microbiology PhD programs that are mostly ranked top 30 - 50. I also have about 5 years of research experience under my belt and have presented at 8 or 9 conferences so far. I haven't published any papers yet, always seem to end up in the hospital at the most inopportune times and what not.

I'm not expecting to get into any programs this cycle, because I assume the grade filter will pick me off for the sub 3.0 gpa.

Which brings me to my question, do I really have any possibility of a future in academia with an undergrad gpa that low? Also, what can I do to improve myself at this point?

My GPA is too low for both phd programs and masters, but I've recently read up on taking graduate classes as a non-degree seeking student. Would that help?

Sorry for the long post, just looking for some ideas really.

Honestly, your GPA is only one component of the process and your GRE scores are high enough to compensate past any gatekeepers. If you have great LORs, conferences under your belt, and a strong SOP, I don't understand why you wouldn't at least be competitive for Master's programs, if not some Ph.D. programs. 

I had a really low uGPA too (2.8) due to illness, but did a Master's degree and did really well. I did ANOTHER Master's degree on top of that at an Ivy and did really well again. Now I'm in a top 20-30 Ph.D. program (and top 5 for my subdiscipline) for my field (I also received the highest amount of funding in my program). You have a future in academia as long as you're willing to consider alternative ways of pursuing your research than straight to Ph.D., and as long as you keep coming up with the money to do the requisite stuff to put on your CV (for me, that was some research overseas and language training). I also had a  waaaay lower quant GRE than you and a 165 verbal, so don't count yourself out yet.