Is NYU just an expensive school?

oktherapy

I'm foreign student and will be attending NYU in fall for a master, I recognize that the university is very costy and the living expenses in the city isn't cheap as well.

A friend of my parents questioned them on why would they bother to let me go there. "NYU is famous, for being expensive... for charging a lot". From the tone and other comments, it sounded like NYU is not big deal of a school and is overrated. "NYU accepts a lot of people, so they can make money."

Now I wonder... is NYU really that bad? Would it be a stupid move for me to study there? I mean... I would definally enjoy living in nyc and I love the curriculum of the program. But those comments came from a new yorker (btw, his son attended SUNY's law school)

Any NYU student or better, grads here to answer me? Inside scoop? hehe...

My father did his grad work at NYU, in English Lit. At the time he went there, it was very good. He still has several colleagues there, and always has good things to say about the program. Of course, this is second-hand information, so you should take it with about a pound of salt. Also, like anywhere else, grad programs vary wildly from department to department.

If you want, I can ask him what he's heard from colleagues about your department...I owe him an email ;)

I certainly wouldn't agree with that statement based on what I know of NYU, although to a certaind degree I suppose it depends on what program it is you'd be going for. I'm interested to know what other people think, as I'm likely going to be attending NYU for Poli Sci MA. I'm choosing the pricey NYU over much less expensive schools basically because it has faculty that I would really really like to work with. I'm hoping that a successful MA year at NYU will help overcome my rocky undergraduate record when it comes time to apply to Ph.D. programs. If anyone has any thoughts, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My father did his grad work at NYU, in English Lit. At the time he went there, it was very good. He still has several colleagues there, and always has good things to say about the program. Of course, this is second-hand information, so you should take it with about a pound of salt. Also, like anywhere else, grad programs vary wildly from department to department.

If you want, I can ask him what he's heard from colleagues about your department...I owe him an email ;)

Certainly, programs varies from department to department. I just wonder how bad could it really be? hehehe. If you don't mind the hassle... I would definally appreciate if you could ask your father for me 8) ; it's Master of Public Health.

I really don't think there's anything to be worried about. It's NYU for pete's sake. It's not like we're debating the merits of some no-name liberal arts college that may or may not have any virtues.

But still, other thoughts or opinions would be welcome

I certainly wouldn't agree with that statement based on what I know of NYU, although to a certaind degree I suppose it depends on what program it is you'd be going for. I'm interested to know what other people think, as I'm likely going to be attending NYU for Poli Sci MA. I'm choosing the pricey NYU over much less expensive schools basically because it has faculty that I would really really like to work with. I'm hoping that a successful MA year at NYU will help overcome my rocky undergraduate record when it comes time to apply to Ph.D. programs. If anyone has any thoughts, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just wondering what kind of "rocky undergraduate record" you'd have to have to get into NYU. :shock:

Hahaha. Well, I actually did abysmally in my first semester (i.e. nearly failed out) and I had a weak semester in my sophomore year. Luckily I did very well after that. Still, it's kind of haunted me as far as applying to other schools goes. My overall GPA is rather low, while my Major GPA is high. So, at first glance I'm a poor student and certainly can't compete with everyone that's coming out of their undergraduate with like, a 3.9 GPA and such. I'm actually rather astounded (and grateful) that NYU accepted me. Does that answer your question?