How to Choose the Right Undergrad Research Project

Mnm10

Question

Hey Guys, 
I need some help picking between two research projects. I'm at fourth year studying ME (two sems to go), and I am interested in pursuing graduate school. I'm into the BSMS program at my school, but would like to shoot for MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, CalTech. Given that, my two options for research are: 

*Characterizing and optimizing the properties of mineral based composites through manufacturing samples and conducting destructive testing. This is under an associate professor who has about 10yrs experience. 

*Developing an improved design/process to manufacture a carbon fiber panel with holes in it such that it's mech props do not diminish. This is under a full professor with MIT education and 35 years of experience. 

By talking to the professors, it seems that the first project has lots of goals and expectations for where the project is headed and where it needs to get. It is very structured, and i expect to come up with some valuable results. The professor is also very enthusiastic and seems to want to help undergrads a lot. The second project however is much more open ended without specific goals. It does seem to have more potential for leading to innovative research, but I am not entirely sure where it will take me. Essentially the second project seems to be a high risk high reward kind of deal, vs the first where I will most likely end up with something meaningful. 

Which project do you guys think grad school admissions may like better? Would a rec letter from the more distinguished professor carry enough weight to overcome a potentially uninteresting research project? 

My end goal after masters (I plan on thesis route to avoid tuition) is to hit the aerospace industry. Both projects are also industry sponsored. 

Thanks for the help. 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet