interview prep

graddamn

I was contacted by my top choice school to arrange a time to talk about my application via phone. Does anyone have experience with this? Advice? Suggestions? Is this a good thing? I imagine there's a thread on this site somewhere about handling situations such as this....

I was contacted by my top choice school to arrange a time to talk about my application via phone. Does anyone have experience with this? Advice? Suggestions? Is this a good thing? I imagine there's a thread on this site somewhere about handling situations such as this....

In my experience, the phone call will either be an informal phone interview (aka long chat with a prof about research, the program, etc) or a fairly quick call (with a prof or the DGS) to set up an in-person interview. It is a good thing.

Since you're not sure exactly what it will be, have some questions ready and be prepared to talk about your proposed research. Also, have your calendar available so you can check dates for interviews!

This sounds really silly, but I've found I do a lot better (read: less awkwardly) in phone interviews/important calls when I'm making myself act as if the person was in front of me. When you interview face-to-face, you make yourself have good posture, you smile, all those little things that make sense when you're trying to impress someone. All those things can influence your voice as well though--I've found that if I'm wearing something nice (not a suit, just not pjs), am sitting or standing straight, and smile while talking, I do so much better and am less likely to be nervous, because I feel prepared and professional. I've also stood/sat in front of a mirror to make myself aware of how I look--it sounds vain but I am always peppy-er (peppier?), more focused on the convo instead of what to say next, and sound more professional if I see myself nodding, smiling, etc. :)

This also may be because I hate talking on the phone, or because I'm completely neurotic, but hey, it's worked so far! :D