Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering 2010

Deleted

<br />I am going to master hoping to get into Bain or similar consulting firms .... but you are already in. I would definitely not forfeit the job. It would make it a lot easier getting into top MBA programs if you want to in the future.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Many firms pay for part-time schooling, so that's a good way to get your education funded. Hours in consulting are often pretty bad from what I hear, so may not work in that industry.

If a school like Cornell denies your PhD app, and offers to consider your app for the M.Eng program, what are the chances you will get in?

I don't know about OR but in CS I heard Cornell practically offers every rejected PhD applicant an M.Eng. This is probably an exaggeration but I think the point is it is very likely for a rejected PhD applicant to get an M.Eng offer.

I don't know about OR but in CS I heard Cornell practically offers every rejected PhD applicant an M.Eng. This is probably an exaggeration but I think the point is it is very likely for a rejected PhD applicant to get an M.Eng offer.

I have a friend who got into Cornell's MEng in Computer Science with just 340 verbal score (but 800 quant).

The estimated expenses given are way off the mark according to me. With respect to an average Indian the total amount for the entire period of the program can be approximately broken down like this:

Tuition Fees:

The approx tuition fees is 10k$ per quarter, so assuming one completes in 5 quarters (max scenario) the total tuition fees is 50k$

Living Expenses:

Considering the fact that most Indians live in EV, 650$ (Rent) +350$ (Everything else) = 1000$ per month, so total living expenses over say 15 months will be 15k$

Total Amount = 50k$ + 15k$ = 65k$

Note: This is a very approximate figure can can vary depending on the no.of quarters taken to complete the program. Correct me if I have missed out of anything else.

I just logged in the application website for Columbia OR and it says that the application deadline has been extended to April 15 ....

The MS only application deadline for Fall 2010 is extended until April 15th, 2010 (excludes MS in Financial Engineering).

So I guess we shouldn't expect the decision to be sent out anytime soon. This is so bad since I have to reply to Stanford by that time.

I just logged in the application website for Columbia OR and it says that the application deadline has been extended to April 15 ....

So I guess we shouldn't expect the decision to be sent out anytime soon. This is so bad since I have to reply to Stanford by that time.

I think you will be accepted by Columbia...

IMO, Columbia OR is easier to get in than Stanford MSandE for their respective masters program. (I got accepted into Columbia MSOR, but rejected by Stanford MS&E) since their class size is generally larger, and they admit more students than Stanford.

<br />I just logged in the application website for Columbia OR and it says that the application deadline has been extended to April 15 ....<br /><br />So I guess we shouldn't expect the decision to be sent out anytime soon. This is so bad since I have to reply to Stanford by that time.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yeah, not a lot of time to respond; I have to get back to them just a couple of weeks later. I get the sense that Columbia has a stronger financial engineering program (my industry), so waiting seems worthwhile.

Btw, I found some great placement info, but surprised at the number of MS going in as Analysts in finance (usually for BA). Salaries, however, seem more Associate level.

http://cardinalcareers.stanford.edu/surveys/0809/destination/placement/default.htm

http://cardinalcareers.stanford.edu/surveys/0708/destination/salarystats/default.htm

I couldn't find similarly granular placement info for Columbia.

http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/graduate/ms_financial_eng/fe_career_statistics.html

<br />I just logged in the application website for Columbia OR and it says that the application deadline has been extended to April 15 ....<br /><br />So I guess we shouldn't expect the decision to be sent out anytime soon. This is so bad since I have to reply to Stanford by that time.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you're talking about the master's at stanford ms&e, I think you have till april 30th to decide.

Don't you guys think that by extending the deadline for 2 more months, Columbia shows how desperate it is this year to get students? I was between Stanford and Columbia but after seeing this extension, I feel less confident about Columbia's OR Program. They're almost on the verge of combining the deadline for Spring & Fall admission.

I wonder how typical application extensions are.

The economy has improved here (thanks to exceptional generosity from DC & Fed), but employment prospects are still challenging. If there are many undergrads without prospective offers (who didn't plan for grad school), then it would make sense to provide an alternative with this extension. Rolling admission for current applicants would be a seemingly non-exclusive option, however.

They can always expedite this process by accepting me now. :)

Don't you guys think that by extending the deadline for 2 more months, Columbia shows how desperate it is this year to get students? I was between Stanford and Columbia but after seeing this extension, I feel less confident about Columbia's OR Program. They're almost on the verge of combining the deadline for Spring & Fall admission.

The deadline extension is for the entire engineering school, not just IEOR department.

So who is going to go to Stanford?

Where are you planning to go seadub?

Also one of my friends confirmed that the estimated budgets are way inflated. But nonetheless we have to show we are capable of paying that much.

Do students take up internships during the course of their MS? Any ideas about this?

I am also deciding between Stanford MS&E and Columbia MSOR (assuming I will eventually get in). Both schools cost ~$40k for tuitions a year. Since living expense should be the same in Palo Alto and NYC, cost would not be a factor to compare both programs.

In general, both programs offers the same flexibility I need, I could choose business courses and finance courses to make my curriculum fit consulting industry requirement. The attention and reputation of professors are quite similar.

Regarding job placement, Stanford MS&E seems doing better than Columbia MSOR but to me as an international student, I just feel it won't make much difference. It's going to be very hard in either places and I have to compete with like .... another 200 master graduates, let alone undergraduates.

Therefore, the only differences is Stanford's culture vs Columbia's culture: an entrepreneurial technology oriented environment (relaxed, creative) vs traditional conservative environment (ivy league, formal). Personally, I would prefer Columbia because of NYC and partly because I am accustomed to East coast through my undergraduate. However, Stanford's culture seems more fit for global economics, especially in emerging markets like China or other countries in Asia. Also, Stanford's reputation is more famous internationally compared with Columbia.

It's a tough choice for me as well ....

I am also deciding between Stanford MS&E and Columbia MSOR (assuming I will eventually get in). Both schools cost ~$40k for tuitions a year. Since living expense should be the same in Palo Alto and NYC, cost would not be a factor to compare both programs.

In general, both programs offers the same flexibility I need, I could choose business courses and finance courses to make my curriculum fit consulting industry requirement. The attention and reputation of professors are quite similar.

Regarding job placement, Stanford MS&E seems doing better than Columbia MSOR but to me as an international student, I just feel it won't make much difference. It's going to be very hard in either places and I have to compete with like .... another 200 master graduates, let alone undergraduates.

Therefore, the only differences is Stanford's culture vs Columbia's culture: an entrepreneurial technology oriented environment (relaxed, creative) vs traditional conservative environment (ivy league, formal). Personally, I would prefer Columbia because of NYC and partly because I am accustomed to East coast through my undergraduate. However, Stanford's culture seems more fit for global economics, especially in emerging markets like China or other countries in Asia. Also, Stanford's reputation is more famous internationally compared with Columbia.

It's a tough choice for me as well ....

I am assuming you went to ugrad at a school near Boston (BC, BU, Taft... ?). I think Boston is pretty much the same as NYC, atmosphere-wise, but you probably would feel a culture shock if you go to Stanford ...... stanford is not as fast-paced campus as columbia...

Does anyone know when Columbia MSOR results are expected to start coming ?

My application was forwarded to the adcom on the 11th of January and i still haven't heard anything from them.

I also haven't heard from Cornell - I know they have given out some results for M.E in ORIE but a lot of us are still waiting on these results.

Anyone ? any news ?

I am assuming you went to ugrad at a school near Boston (BC, BU, Taft... ?). I think Boston is pretty much the same as NYC, atmosphere-wise, but you probably would feel a culture shock if you go to Stanford ...... stanford is not as fast-paced campus as columbia...

Yea, I've met people graduated from Stanford and they are definitely more engineer-oriented and their perspective are somewhat different from people graduated from Ivies.

Does anyone know about grade inflation/deflation and difficulties at both programs (Stanford, Columbia) ?

Also, for all those wondering, my status on the website still has not changed.

:) I was curious about that. Thanks! My status too still hasn't changed and I start getting worried. I just sent an e-mail to the graduate director. Btw, I completed my undergrad in IE at GT. Obviously, the graduate program would have its huge differences, but I guess I could still be of help to some degree if you have any questions regarding the department, the environment, Atlanta, etc.

Edited by gth822

Yea, I've met people graduated from Stanford and they are definitely more engineer-oriented and their perspective are somewhat different from people graduated from Ivies.

Does anyone know about grade inflation/deflation and difficulties at both programs (Stanford, Columbia) ?

Does anybody know about the current job scene after Stanford's MS&E program?

smile.gif I was curious about that. Thanks! My status too still hasn't changed and I start getting worried. I just sent an e-mail to the graduate director. Btw, I completed my undergrad in IE at GT. Obviously, the graduate program would have its huge differences, but I guess I could still be of help to some degree if you have any questions regarding the department, the environment, Atlanta, etc.

I saw you got accepted by a lot Ph.D programs, would you like to show your profile, like Gpa, GRE, Experience, and talk about what are the bullets to help you got acceptions....?