University of Toronto - Computer Science MS/PhD

gradwiz

I don't think any Canadian schools take part in the agreement that sets an April 15th deadline. I know my UT and York applications from last year took me into the summer before receiving acceptance.

If you have an offer from an American school, you might want to give them a polite phone call to let them know.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have not heard anything from UofT. I have emailed them and they said if I have not heard even after April, it does not mean I have been rejected. I don't understand why it takes so long to make a decision. It's longer than it would take normally.

You're probably on a waiting list. I'm just guessing of course, but as was stated earlier, Canadian schools don't adhere to the 15 April deadline. So, they could be waiting to hear back on decisions from admitted applicants before they admit you. That happened to a friend of mine a couple years ago at York - he was wait listed but wasn't told about it. He received an acceptance in August. I do know though that the history department contacted all applicants back in March, so it must depend on the department. However, that is quite rediculous that you have not yet heard anything and I do feel for you! The waiting process is excrutiating.

I think the Canucks are more concerned about hitting their target number of admits precisely. Any U.S. school will admit, for instance, 30 in hopes of getting about 10 acceptances - if they're over or under by a few, oh well. York and UofT keep sending out waves of acceptance letters throughout the summer (at least in some departments).

But, unless York or UofT are your top choices, I wouldn't worry about it. Pick the best offer you've gotten and go with that.

Todat I have checked my status and noticed that "currently under review by committee

final decisions will be released in april" had been dissappear. I woder, what does it mean...

Same thing there. I also didn't see that status anymore. I checked the status in SGS and saw that my status is not "decision made". I've no idea what they are up to right now.

One thing to consider with SGS - they're a tad slow at updating the status online. I am finishing up an MA at U of T this year and my status STILL says "no decision made" on SGS.

I don't think any Canadian schools take part in the agreement that sets an April 15th deadline. I know my UT and York applications from last year took me into the summer before receiving acceptance.

If you have an offer from an American school, you might want to give them a polite phone call to let them know.

Did you receive an acceptance email or regular mail from UofT last year?

It must depend on the department. I received my acceptance from U of T via snail mail and from York via email. I had applied to two separate departments at York, and both acceptances came via email. I also know that my department at U of T calls students whom they have accepted to the PhD. I too am in Humanities/social sciences.

I have received next e-mail and do not understand what the first frase means:

You have reached the Department of Computer Science Graduate Office at

the University of Toronto. We expect to have our final decisions by

mid-May and letters will be issued by the end of May. Your patience

with this process is appreciated.

Thanks

I also get the same email message from UofT. I hope they'll send the decision by email since I'm in another half of the world so it'll take a long time if they use a snailmail. UofT is my first choice so I have been waiting for a long time.