my GRE score........

hl348

I am applying to Cornell(Master's program in Africana Studies) and I got Q: 760(85%) V: 600(86%) AW: 4.5(63%)....

The program doesnt require GRE scores but it does recommend the applicants to take it....

is the score bad/good for the program? I think the verbal(AW too...) is pretty low esp. when compared to native speakers who are going into social sciences or humanities field.(I am an international student though..)

Edited by hl348

Your scores are good, don't worry about them. I would have said that even if you were a native speaker, but they are certainly good for an international--85th+ percentile will get you past any cutoffs. Then, as they say, it's up to the rest of the application to get you in; but these scores won't keep you out.

The AW is the least important part of the GRE. You don't need to worry if you do well on the TOEFL and submit well written essays (SOP and writing sample).

ETA: Wow, the percentiles have seriously changed since last year! I also got a 4.5 and the percentile was somewhere in the 50s.

Edited by fuzzylogician

I am applying to Cornell(Master's program in Africana Studies) and I got Q: 760(85%) V: 600(86%) AW: 4.5(63%)....

The program doesnt require GRE scores but it does recommend the applicants to take it....

is the score bad/good for the program? I think the verbal(AW too...) is pretty low esp. when compared to native speakers who are going into social sciences or humanities field.(I am an international student though..)

Your scores are quite good. I know for a fact that many (most, all?) programs are more forgiving with non-native speaker's verbal scores, especially with a high math score to counterbalance (anything above 700 is high... remember that the percentage includes all the physicists and engineers who took the GRE). Additionally, master's programs tend to weigh the GRE score less heavily if the student's application demonstrates other strengthens (through a strong GPA, writing sample, etc.).

ahh thanks to all for your positive threads. I have been so much worried about my low gre and gpa.... cuz on this website, alot of people have quite strong specs, making me even more pessimistic on my own. I am much relieved now.. haha... good luck to everyone!

Edited by hl348