Texas A&M Recruitment Day

Hola everyone! I saw that @Wyatt's Terps made a similar topic like this for the OSU Visit Day so I thought I would make one too for the A&M visit day on the 24th of this month!

I'm planning on going and I'd love to chat with folks before the event! I'm super psyched about it! I'm flying in Thursday, I'll get there around 6pm.

I'm also staying an extra day, until Sunday, because any plane fights I could take on Saturday would just give me a long 16+ hour layover anyway. It sounds like all of our activities are on Friday so if anyone else is hanging out on Saturday, let me know! Maybe we can go do something!

Hello @Silabus!! I was accepted to the English PhD program at Texas A&M too. I am still thinking if I make the recruitment visit due to a budget. Even if they partially cover my international flight tickets, I still need to spend money on a hotel and transportation. Plus, I will be super-tired after a long distance trip (I need to work for my company too). So I will probably not make the one sadly...

I've been accepted at A&M, but unfortunately can't make it to the official Visiting Day--I'm presenting at a conference that weekend, so I'm coming on the Monday before (I'm from Dallas and I'll be briefly home for spring break). I hope the day itself goes well, and would love to hear about it!

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, LuxuryBluez said:

Hello @Silabus!! I was accepted to the English PhD program at Texas A&M too. I am still thinking if I make the recruitment visit due to a budget. Even if they partially cover my international flight tickets, I still need to spend money on a hotel and transportation. Plus, I will be super-tired after a long distance trip (I need to work for my company too). So I will probably not make the one sadly...

Ohhhh, well I know they're willing to cover more for international flights. I'm not sure how much though. And don't worry about your transportation or hotel, they are covering the hotel as well as driving us around to events!

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, SophieHatter said:

I've been accepted at A&M, but unfortunately can't make it to the official Visiting Day--I'm presenting at a conference that weekend, so I'm coming on the Monday before (I'm from Dallas and I'll be briefly home for spring break). I hope the day itself goes well, and would love to hear about it!

I will tell you about it! And I hope you go to A&M! I'm still waiting to hear from schools but...I feel a strong pull in A&M's direction.

20 hours ago, Silabus said:

I will tell you about it! And I hope you go to A&M! I'm still waiting to hear from schools but...I feel a strong pull in A&M's direction.

Thanks! I've basically narrowed it down to A&M and UConn (I'm still waiting on a few places, but they're not especially tempting since they were my back-ups anyway). I do children's literature and cultural studies, and as far as I can tell, A&M is better for cultural studies and UConn is better for children's literature. It's probably going to come down to how I feel when I visit each place. I wish I could make it to the actual Visiting Day so I could meet more of the potential cohort, but ICFA (International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts) is one of my absolute favorites to go to and I refuse to give it up haha

5 minutes ago, SophieHatter said:

Thanks! I've basically narrowed it down to A&M and UConn (I'm still waiting on a few places, but they're not especially tempting since they were my back-ups anyway). I do children's literature and cultural studies, and as far as I can tell, A&M is better for cultural studies and UConn is better for children's literature. It's probably going to come down to how I feel when I visit each place. I wish I could make it to the actual Visiting Day so I could meet more of the potential cohort, but ICFA (International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts) is one of my absolute favorites to go to and I refuse to give it up haha

Ha ha! I don't blame you! That sounds like a fun Conference!

Is UConn better for Children's Lit? I think A&M also publishes a journal on Children's Lit. That's what I'm most excited about too, meeting the potential cohort. I'm also interested in meeting some of the professors too! One of them just sent me a really nice email today about how she was on the Acceptance Committee and really enjoyed my writing sample---and she thinks I should think hard about joining them at A&M! xD So nice!

I informed the Department of English at Texas A&M that I couldn't make the recruitment event. I was wondering how much stipends they offered you guys @Silabus @SophieHatter. I am weighing three programs: Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Auburn. Tennessee and Auburn offered me more than $16,000(+fellowships, summer teaching and additional teaching) for 9 months for five years, whereas Texas A&M offered me $1,400 per month for 9 months for the first two years, $1,500 for the third year, and $1,600 for the last two years. I really want to go to Texas A&M due to my research fit, but the small amount of the stipends makes me hesitate to choose Texas A&M.

Edited by LuxuryBluez

2 minutes ago, LuxuryBluez said:

I informed the Department of English at Texas A&M that I couldn't make the recruitment event. I was wondering how much stipends they offered you guys @Silabus @SophieHatter. I am weighing three programs: Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Auburn. Tennessee and Auburn offered me more than $16,000(+fellowships, summer teaching and additional teaching) for 9 months for five years, whereas Texas A&M offered me $1,400 per month for 9 months for the first two years, $1,500 for the third year, and $16,00 for the last two years. I really want to go to Texas A&M due to my research fit, but the small amount of the stipends makes me hesitate to choose Texas A&M.

Same deal for me. However, considering the cost of apartments and such in College Station, that's a pretty good amount of money. They also fund you in other ways. So, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

9 minutes ago, Silabus said:

Same deal for me. However, considering the cost of apartments and such in College Station, that's a pretty good amount of money. They also fund you in other ways. So, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

@Silabus Thank you very much!!! I was worried if they offered me a different stipend due to the fact that I am an international student. I will probably go to Texas A&M then, but I am still waiting to hear from two more programs. Thank you again!! :) 

Edited by LuxuryBluez

@LuxuryBluez @Silabus I got the same offer plus an extra fellowship on top, but said fellowship only lasts for 3 of the 5 years, which is a bit odd. My roommate, who also got in there, is choosing between two fellowships (one the same as mine, another that would be less money but less teaching).  I'm really happy about A&M's 1-1 teaching load, though! I was low key dreading having to tackle something heavier. 

28 minutes ago, SophieHatter said:

@LuxuryBluez @Silabus I got the same offer plus an extra fellowship on top, but said fellowship only lasts for 3 of the 5 years, which is a bit odd. My roommate, who also got in there, is choosing between two fellowships (one the same as mine, another that would be less money but less teaching).  I'm really happy about A&M's 1-1 teaching load, though! I was low key dreading having to tackle something heavier. 

Hoooo! I want an extra fellowship! xD

Oh yeah the 1-1 teaching load is great. Anything more than that and I think you're definitely being taken advantage of.