Computer Vision Research - Applicants Fall 2010

rohananil

I made a mistake of applying to CS PhD rather than RI PhD , although all professors i mentioned ( Prof. Kanade , Efros and De La Torre are from RI ) . Unless they moved my application, i guess its a sure reject.

I don't think I would be *that* worried about applying to CS instead of RI -- although you should have applied to both, probably.

Also, my current undergrad research advisor was advised by Kanade at CMU, and I've seen Kanade and Efros in person here at my school before haha. Did not talk to either at any point though :(

I don't think I would be *that* worried about applying to CS instead of RI -- although you should have applied to both, probably.

Also, my current undergrad research advisor was advised by Kanade at CMU, and I've seen Kanade and Efros in person here at my school before haha. Did not talk to either at any point though :(

Lucky you, which school are you from. I am an international student from India :P , i have seen them on lecture videos though ;)

I'm at Georgia Tech. We get lucky visits by such people sometimes -- the area chair meeting for CVPR was here in the past year (I even saw the professor I had for computer vision when I studied abroad in Germany... haha), for example. Did you apply to Georgia Tech, by the way?

I'm at Georgia Tech. We get lucky visits by such people sometimes -- the area chair meeting for CVPR was here in the past year (I even saw the professor I had for computer vision when I studied abroad in Germany... haha), for example. Did you apply to Georgia Tech, by the way?

GaTech is great for computer vision! It's one of my top choices :D. Do you have any comments about studying at GaTech?

GaTech is great for computer vision! It's one of my top choices :D. Do you have any comments about studying at GaTech?

I've worked with and interacted with several of the vision profs here and they seem to generally be friendly guys. The two that I've actually worked with directly seem to be pretty good, attentive advisors (from the perspective of an undergrad :) ). So if you come here you will probably not only have top-notch researchers but also good advisors to work with. If you get in and have any specific questions about the campus, city, etc. feel free to send me a message.

No i did not :(

I kind of was expecting the AdComs to check the project pages that i mentioned on My SOP, but none did haha. It seems nobody really cares about all that and they just go by GPA :P

I am interested in computer vision and applied to a lot of phd programs. so far i have been rejected from cornell, upenn, and mit. i got into univ central florida. i plan to complete a m.s this spring and from there see whether i want to stay where im at or go elsewhere.

yeah that sums it up for now. also, does anyone else not care as much about where they end up? as long as the advisor is good?

I've worked with and interacted with several of the vision profs here and they seem to generally be friendly guys. The two that I've actually worked with directly seem to be pretty good, attentive advisors (from the perspective of an undergrad :) ). So if you come here you will probably not only have top-notch researchers but also good advisors to work with. If you get in and have any specific questions about the campus, city, etc. feel free to send me a message.

I got accepted into GaTech!! For my research interest, CMU is the only other place that is probably better than GaTech. They already said nay to me but that doesn't matter. I'm still very ecstatic about this :D. If you don't mind, I'll send you a pm to ask more about GaTech or Atlanta in general.

Btw, you said in one of your posts that your undergrad research advisor is advised by Kanade. Are you talking about Jim Rehg? If you are, then I think we might be 'related' academically. Haha

I got accepted into GaTech!! For my research interest, CMU is the only other place that is probably better than GaTech. They already said nay to me but that doesn't matter. I'm still very ecstatic about this :D. If you don't mind, I'll send you a pm to ask more about GaTech or Atlanta in general.

Congratulations! Sure, go ahead with all the PMs you want. I'm in Pittsburgh right now visiting CMU though, so I may be a little slow to reply.

Btw, you said in one of your posts that your undergrad research advisor is advised by Kanade. Are you talking about Jim Rehg? If you are, then I think we might be 'related' academically. Haha

Perhaps :P how might we be related academically?

Hi folks,

I am also a computer vision applicant. No good news so far.

Got rejected from: MIT, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell

Waiting: Caltech, Gatech, UT Austin, UMD, UCSD, NYU

any news from these above schools, please update.

It seems more rejections will come soon! :(

trieutulong

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting to hear from . Johns Hopkins (ECE) , Umaryland (CS) , Boston Univ (CS), UCSD (ECE), UCSB (ECE), Georgia Tech (ECE), Utexas Austin (ECE), all for computer vision / image processing related research. Just out of curiosity how did the people in this thread first get interested in computer vision. Also have you found a particular area within computer vision that you want to specialize in (ie. tracking, registration, segmentation... etc) or are you more general?

Edited by mish4

I am still waiting to hear from . Johns Hopkins (ECE) , Umaryland (CS) , Boston Univ (CS), UCSD (ECE), UCSB (ECE), Georgia Tech (ECE), Utexas Austin (ECE), all for computer vision / image processing related research. Just out of curiosity how did the people in this thread first get interested in computer vision. Also have you found a particular area within computer vision that you want to specialize in (ie. tracking, registration, segmentation... etc) or are you more general?

MIT-CMU(PhD reject)

Wisc-UCSB(????) - MS Reject

I am interested in face analysis. Registration, tracking, recognition/verification :) - have been obsessed with faces. Also into multimodal interfaces and how vision can be applied here. I probably would want to work on applications based research - Although i do find that optimizing on lower level areas of vision like segmentation do significantly impact performance. I find my interest in optimizing the algorithms and running it realtime.

Has anybody applied to Gatech's PhD Robotics program through the College of Computing? There have been several admits in PhD CS at Gatech, but only one for the Robotics program - any idea if they're done with the decisions? I'm interested in vision-based SLAM.