Evaluation of essay

Nidhi Shah

The author asserts that mass media and internet are responsible for creating shorter spans in humans and hence reduces the focus on one thing. While citing this disadvantage, author states that this loss is covered by the ability  to sort through myriad of information and find what is apposite. I agree with author that mass media nad internet has  presented multifarious data in front of us which creates the wavering mind but we are forced to arrange data according to our utility, this arrangement definitely requires long span attention.

Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able  to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through large quantities of information and find what’s important.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

The popularity of mass media nad internet is increasing by leaps and bounds. The reason for its popularity is very lucid :it provides superflous information at demand. Mass media provides news items in varied form , some channels like Zee news delineates each incident in detail whereas Aaj tak news channel prefers to show short news and in visual stastics. One can choose which form to see according to content and time available.You have option to just go from one channel to another and remain confounded or you can decide which channel to choose by proper analyzing of content and time span. Internet provides information in different forms : All , images , maps , news , videos. One can choose to find information in any form as per their requirement. Not only various forms but also different perspective from of information is also provided by internet. Pagination below every search engine allows us to search various content of the same topic.Truly, internet and mass media provides a copious amount of information. To hunt through this stack requires long span attention and analyzing of data provided by this different means.Hence ,we can say that focus is still a requirement in the age of internet and mass media.

Additionally, this availability of profuse data compels us to be more focused. Otherwise, this large amount of data can confuse any asinine. Imagine if person is not able to sort this large grid of information , person will be dilatory. In start when I started to use Google , I remeber how confused I used to be because of the large amount of data but slowly and steadily focusing on content and what I need ,helped me solve confusion.

In contrast , some might argue that this sorting skills is superficial form of focus as in this practice also we cannot stick to one thing. For instance , we might require to gather information from two or three web pages and pick up image and video from totally different webpages. We are definitely not focusing one thing but we are creating heterogenous material. This creation of varied material demands great maount of attention.Also , focus on one thing or one kind of information like one book or one research paper cannot give  varied form of perception and data on the same topic. 

To sum up , Internet and mass media has given us varied and large amount of data for our use but this large amount of data requires focus inclined task of sorting them. We cannot focus on one thing in this advent of intern