What happend to the Test Magic???

italos

"That would never work. Nash equilibrium (or perhaps rational addiction is a better model.)"

Yep, PD = Prisoners' dilemma. I was trying to suggest that we might end up at the dominant strategy of F5 until our finger drops off, but if we had sufficiently low discount rates then maybe we could strike on the Pareto outcome, etc. etc.

From Erin's twitter "Forums still down; I need to decide--wait a few days and *try* to restore all the data or restore everything now from a 2009 backup."

My vote is to restore it now. What do you guys think?

I say aye. Both hands raised for me.

Of course, since I'm not applying, I'd favor waiting, just so as much continuity is kept as possible, but I don't think I should have a vote. I did want to mention that I have a scan of the decisions thread and the profiles thread from last week (Friday afternoon, I think). It would be nice if we didn't have to re-create the whole thing (assuming a reset). I don't know if it is much use to Erin, but I assume it will be of value to the community. I'm not sure how things will be reintegrated, but I just wanted to let everyone know that information is not lost. So, assuming that the 2009 image is good, there seems to be a good deal of good info to go by. Also, I wonder if archive.org has a recent dump, as well (I know they have a delay on showing pages, but they might have something more recent held privately).

Perhaps I don't know enough about web hosting, but why are the two options mutually exclusive? Can't TM operate off the 2009 data for a while and then add the more recent stuff as and when it is extracted from the crashed hard drive? But if I had to pick one, I'd vote for just working off the 2009 stuff, at least in the short term.

remember this isn't just about the roll call and decisions threads. far more importantly (IMO), when it comes time to make a decision, there's a lot of really helpful information in old TM posts that i know i'd like to have available. plus access to the TM alums currently enrolled.

let's get the 2009 image loaded.

Hi everyone,

I've been in touch with Erin. Here's his current plan, as of late this afternoon:

1) Restore the forum to a backup from last May. He might be able to do this today.

2) Try to recover the data using a data recovery service. This could take a while--weeks? Months?

3) Try to restore any data recovered.

Thanks for your patience. I know this is a really frustrating time to have the TM forums down. Erin is doing everything he can to have things up and running again, and I'll keep you updated if I have any news.

Edited by asquare