How much does a perfect 6.0 on AW bolster an otherwise unremarkable GRE score?

Haeralis

This morning, I got my official GRE score report back. The scaled verbal and mathematics score didn't change at all; I retained the 151Q (43rd percentile) and 161V (88th percentile) which I had expected to receive. Much to my surprise, however, my analytical writing section came back and it was not just good--it was perfect 6.0 (99th percentile). 

As these scores suggest, I am applying to a writing heavy program in political theory. 

Before I took the test, I heard that the AW section is actually the least important to admissions committees. Is this true, or could my AW score set me apart in an important way? 

Edited by Haeralis

Look at the schools admission statistics. 

I'm in math/econ so IDK what the attitude towards AWA is. Some schools for econ don't even list AWA meaning it's practical useless (averages for programs are like 3.5–4). Simply check what schools you're applying for look at the most. I assume verbal and AWA but IDK. I'd be interested in reading your style of writing if you got a 6. I got a 5 and each time I assume it will be higher after the next test, but I've only ever gotten 5s. 

Congratz by the way. 1 score that's perfect doesn't raise an eyebrow. The GRE is a sanity check by most measures. Outside of the US cheating is known to happen so what matters the most is the LOR and the research you've done and can show for it (for econ/math/stats). As long as you're about the average/median for the programs you're applying to I'd say don't worry at all.  

17 hours ago, I_Charge_by_the_foot said:

Look at the schools admission statistics. 

I'm in math/econ so IDK what the attitude towards AWA is. Some schools for econ don't even list AWA meaning it's practical useless (averages for programs are like 3.5–4). Simply check what schools you're applying for look at the most. I assume verbal and AWA but IDK. I'd be interested in reading your style of writing if you got a 6. I got a 5 and each time I assume it will be higher after the next test, but I've only ever gotten 5s. 

Congratz by the way. 1 score that's perfect doesn't raise an eyebrow. The GRE is a sanity check by most measures. Outside of the US cheating is known to happen so what matters the most is the LOR and the research you've done and can show for it (for econ/math/stats). As long as you're about the average/median for the programs you're applying to I'd say don't worry at all.  

Most of the schools that I am applying for want at least a 4.5 or a 5.0 in Analytical Writing, so it definitely won't work against me. They bother to specify their desired AW score, so I guess they care at least a little. 

As for my technique during the test, I mostly just followed the rules for style, clarity and flow that I tutored people on at my school's Writing Center, and I applied it to the standard five-paragraph essay. You have to make sure that what you write sounds interesting, so I utilized quotes from history. I discussed the Founding Era debate between Hamilton / Jefferson in the introduction while utilizing their own quotes to make it clear that this issue has been prevalent for most of American history, and I then took a clear stand against the statement. 

I'd definitely recommend using direct quotes if you can remember any that apply since it demonstrates an acute awareness of the subject matter. Also, you have to address why it is that someone would feel the opposite way and debunk their position. Obviously, a cogent organizational structure goes a long ways. Make use of topic sentences at the beginning of each paragraph, and use conclusion sentences which set you up to naturally transition into the next paragraph. 

I don't have any recommendations for the argumentative essay that you probably haven't heard already. I felt like I got a particularly easy argument to tear apart. In the moment, I guess you just have to see the logical problems and glaring holes in the passages. 

Aah, I gotcha. Argument essays are easy, but I never quote squat in my issue essay. Oh well. I also never utilize the 5 paragraph essay in some formal way, I always use this 5 paragraph: intro, point 1, point 2, intricacies/implications/extensions, and summary type of format.