Silent Rejections

APHI224

I was just wondering, has anyone here experienced a silent rejection, where they just never get back to you or tell you anything? For some reason I have a feeling that is going to happen to me at some places, like I'll just never hear a word from them one way or another but have to assume come April and May that it's a rejection. Just wondering if anyone had heard of that happening.

I've heard of it happening, but this is my first time applying so it's never happened to me before. If you're worried about specific schools doing that, I'd try checking the results board to see whether/when/how people received rejections from them in previous years. My guess is that what with email correspondence being the norm now, they're more likely to just inform people. But of course you never know! Best of luck.

I was just wondering, has anyone here experienced a silent rejection, where they just never get back to you or tell you anything? For some reason I have a feeling that is going to happen to me at some places, like I'll just never hear a word from them one way or another but have to assume come April and May that it's a rejection. Just wondering if anyone had heard of that happening.

It didn't happen to me, but it's happened to a couple people I know.

When I applied for my Master's, I got a silent rejection from one of my programs. If you are fairly sure decisions have been made, don't hesitate to email. That's what I did - though I felt bad for the administrator who had to email me a personal rejection - she was much more apologetic than she needed to be. I knew it was a super selective program when I applied.

Yeah, that's what happened to my brother. He actually never heard back from the graduate school at the undergraduate institution that he was attending. But he had already received an offer from an Ivy league school that he wasn't going to refuse, so it didn't matter anyway.

If you don't hear though, don't hesitate to ask. You paid the application fee and spent the time going through the application process, you deserve an answer one way or the other.

Yeah, that's what happened to my brother. He actually never heard back from the graduate school at the undergraduate institution that he was attending. But he had already received an offer from an Ivy league school that he wasn't going to refuse, so it didn't matter anyway.

Wow, your brother's undergrad school really missed out on having a great grad student. He was probably glad to move on elsewhere with his studies. :]

Come April or May, if you suspect this to be the case, I suggest contacting the admissions office. There is always the chance that there was an oversight, or that they are taking extra time with the decision process. Either way, the adcomm cannot hold it against you for wanting to know what is going on with your own application. It's not too much to ask. And if they still do not respond, I would have serious reservations about attending such an institution.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess once I get my first rejection I'll be expecting this less, it's just been floating around in my head as a possibility because I haven't heard anything. Maybe I feel like they won't think I'm worth getting back to, that it should be obvious? I guess that's what a lot of waiting does to your mind lol. I think I'd be too embarrassed at that point to call/e-mail to ask, that's how sad I think my application is... but I guess I'll just have to wait and see, thanks!wink.gif