HKS MPP Admissions Stats

For the benefit of future applicants (and stats geeks), the admissions materials handed out on the visitation day indicated roughly 1770 applicants to the MPP, and an admit rate of precisely 20% (something like 350). The mid-career MPA had an admit rate of 50%. MPA-ID materials were not distributed (separate session).

HKS has an MPP class size of ~220. This indicates an expected yield of 220/350 = ~63%.

Of course, for your career, this is all fairly meaningless!

Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the MPP program has that low of an admissions rate. Do you know if the statistics were compiled from last year's admissions batch (Class of 2011) or this year's (C/O 2012)? I know that there was a huge rise in the number of applications last year. The 20% could be an outlier specific to last year's cycle. Or it could mean that HKS has become more popular.

Yes, the figure is from the class of 2012. They mentioned an increase in applications of about 20% this year -- a repeat of last year's increase.

<br />Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the MPP program has that low of an admissions rate. Do you know if the statistics were compiled from last year's admissions batch (Class of 2011) or this year's (C/O 2012)? I know that there was a huge rise in the number of applications last year. The 20% could be an outlier specific to last year's cycle. Or it could mean that HKS has become more popular.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, the figure is from the class of 2012. They mentioned an increase in applications of about 20% this year -- a repeat of last year's increase.

<br /><br /><br />

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2010/4/15/kennedy-percent-school-number/

From the article: "Over the past two years, the number of applications to the Kennedy School’s Master in Public Policy Program has increased by 34 percent...The number of applicants to the MPP program increased by 5 percent this year, boasting a total of 1,729 applicants. From this pool, 345 students were admitted."

For the benefit of future applicants (and stats geeks), the admissions materials handed out on the visitation day indicated roughly 1770 applicants to the MPP, and an admit rate of precisely 20% (something like 350). The mid-career MPA had an admit rate of 50%. MPA-ID materials were not distributed (separate session).

HKS has an MPP class size of ~220. This indicates an expected yield of 220/350 = ~63%.

Of course, for your career, this is all fairly meaningless!

Bastille,

Thanks for the stat. So is it HKS for you? I recall you were going to attend the SIPA open house. Did you make it out there? If so, what did you think?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...