The University of Texas at Austin

warriorsbball

Nuclear engineering PhD. Have you been able to visit yet? I wasn't able to before I accepted the offer. If so, how did you like the campus/city?

I visited, and though I didn't see a GREAT deal of the campus (it's huge for someone who went to a small liberal arts undergrad like me), what I saw I liked. There's an old part with Spanish-influenced architecture that's very pretty, and your standard gray concrete buildings, giant stadium. There are also little carts everywhere selling tacos or muffins or coffee. I was able to find my way around much more easily than on other campus visits, too, despite the size.

One thing I really liked is how close campus is to downtown, so the city and school really seem to have a real relationship, rather than UT just happening to be *next* to Austin. The area around is full of independent businesses (Austin fights very hard to keep its independent, non-corporate character), which makes you realize how globalized and bland most cities have become (I'm from Chicago, where everything is a Starbucks or a Burger King or a Walgreens because no one can afford the rent to keep up a small business).

The grad students and newly-hired professors I talked to all spoke very highly of not only the graduate population, but the undergrads as well. Everyone was very polite and friendly everywhere I went. Even the security personnel at the AIRPORT were friendly! Must be all that sunshine.

Hopefully I will have a chance to visit sometime this summer before I actually move down there. Have you been able to talk to anyone about housing and where most graduate students live, or how difficult it is to obtain good housing?

Hopefully I will have a chance to visit sometime this summer before I actually move down there. Have you been able to talk to anyone about housing and where most graduate students live, or how difficult it is to obtain good housing?

People mostly gave vague answers like "you should live with roommates" or "don't live in West Campus" or "the cost of living is pretty low." I assume it's hard to generalize.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I just drop by to say hi. I am going to Austin this Fall too. Have any of you decided anything regarding housing stuff? I want to team up with a few more grad students and share a decent multi-bedroom type apartment ( saying decent, I want to mean not fancy). I am male, major in Civil Engineering. If you like the idea, drop me some PM and we will talk more.

• 1 month later...

Hey, everyone. I don't know if anyone is even reading this forum anymore, but my roommate for the fall just backed out on me on a great apartment in North Campus, 2/2. We were supposed to sign the lease this week, but if I can't find someone before, say, Monday, I'm going to have to let it go and go back to square one. If you know anyone who needs a place for $560 a month, please PM me and we can talk more. I'm pretty desperate!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use