NSF Fellowships

Guest Gale

Guest Guest

I'm inclined to think that they do go out on the same day, but who knows? I remember looking at archives from another message board, and everyone was either hearing via email or fastlane.

I think they make their decisions at the same time, because if you look at the lists of the people who win each year, the list is dated about a week earlier than when the notifications go out...just my detective work :-P

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, if they make us wait till almost mid-April this year, like they did last year, i might have to hurt someone in the NSF office. otherwie sue them under the 'cruel and unusual' punishment clause

Guest guest

why is it so much worse right before the end? perhaps it's just knowing that the information is probably out there in the world already but I just don't have it yet. torture!!!

Guest guest
I think it was the following monday, I'm not sure.

do you happen to know if this was recently? i'd love to know either way early next week, before i go back to school from spring break. closure, you know.

Guest guest II

judging by the posts on testmagic, it looks like they did hear the following Saturday, on Live Journal I guess they didn't post until the following Monday. This is going to be nerve racking.

Guest guest also

how funny would it be if the admin at NSF read our posts and saw how obsessed we are about this, I'm sure they'd be very amused. not so amusing from our perspective - I don't think I can stand waiting another week to hear!!! unless I can pull a sleeping beauty gig for the next 7 days . . . .

well, anyway, I am going to try to distract myself with a little parting now, good luck to all in surviving the wait.

Guest tellmenow

Since it doesn't seem like they will be late this year, March 31st is the day for NSF AND NDSEG!!! Exciting!! :lol:

Since it doesn't seem like they will be late this year, March 31st is the day for NSF AND NDSEG!!! Exciting!! :lol:

honestly, do you think its possible they haven't decided who they are going to fund by now? i somehow feel like they already know and are just leaving us hanging for another week for their own amusement. grrrr

Guest some guest

I figure they have to get their fun in somewhere, after going through all those applications and making life decisions that could alter other's futures. So they look forward with toying with our emotions every year, which may seem cruel to those who aren't chosen.

Guest tellmesoon

Stupid bureaucracy. If they had a more efficient system they could notify us more quickly and spend the money they spend administering the program on funding more of us with grants. I hope saying that doesn't displease the NSF gods? :wink:

Hey all,

As background, I'm a MS student at UNC-CH and am going on to my PhD in geology at Wisconsin - Madison in the fall. I applied for the NSF GRFP as the rest of you have and am looking for analysis of this situation I'm in...

I received a letter in the mail (don't know what day because I've been on the run for about 3 weeks here) inviting me to the "8th Annual Graduate Student Recognition Ceremony" here at UNC (I didn't receive and invite last year).

Awards given are:

Dean's Award for Significant Contribution to Graduate Education

Boka W. Hadzija Award for Distinguished Service

Graduate Education Advancement Broad Impact Awards

External Fellowship Awards

Recognition of Graduate/Professional/Honorary Society Inductees

I haven't applied to any University-wide awards (started an application for a broad impact for North Carolina Research award, but never finished or handed in lors). The only Fellowship I have applied for is the NSF GRFP. Last year, they recognized all successful NSF GRFP applicants at UNC (which was held before the official announcement was released to students) but not honorable mentions (the press release said "winners" and those who "received" external fellowship or grants).

I'm no leader at this University and would not be nominated for any University-wide leadership award or the likes. I received two small grants last year, one from the Geological Society of America (very common grant) and one grant from the University for study in North Carolina (it was technically from my department I believe). The press release from last year does not include any recognition of those who received grants, only fellowships.

The weird thing is that if I have won an NSF GRFP, I'm unsure why UNC would recognize my achievement. I completed my undergraduate elsewhere, and I'm pursuing my PhD elsewhere as well.

Am I just being crazy or is there a possibility I actually did win a NSF GRFP and may find out early???

Guest tellmesoon

I would think that for confidentiality reasons, the NSF would not be permitted to notify institutions before applicants...but if you got it, congrats. Keep us posted. Could you check with the university to ask why it is that you're being recognized? They'll certainly have to tell you then!

Guest guest

I don't see how they could tell the schools first, especially since these awards are so important in admissions decisions, especially for people on waitlists (you think if the graduate school knew it wouldn't tell departments? unlikely . . . .). It just doesn't make sense, and it seems a bunch of people would leak this before applicants were notified - not a professional procedure for a government institution. More likely they are referring to awards from the past year, don't you think? One way to check, if you really cared, was to see who was recognized at the ceremony next year and see if the NSF winners match the 2005 awardees from UNC.

A quick search revealed the following regarding my situation...

An individual in the Environmental Science/Engineering department was recognized for receiving a NSF Fellowship at the April 7, 2005 ceremony http://www.sph.unc.edu/envr/publication ... ws_web.pdf

When searching the year of the fellowship received, the graduate school shows him winning the fellowship during the 2004-2005 academic year.

http://gradschool.unc.edu/recognition/external05.html

However, NSF says the award was offered in 2004.

I'm still very unsure as to why I received an invitation, I'm going to call the graduate school on Monday.