NSF Fellowships

Guest Gale

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
So what do we do if we do win? I'm not trying to curse my chances, but what about the possibility of reversing decisions? Although another person posted that if we won NSF, we darn well would have already been admitted to every school we wanted, this is definitely not true. I happen to know 2 people personally who reversed rejection decisions after winning an NSF. So if we want to try to reverse decisions, how do we go about doing that? I'm assuming we notify any schools we like but which rejected us as soon as possible. But who in those institutions can we notify? What's the procedure? How do we try to nose our way back in without some sort of awkwardness? The people I know who have done this simply told schools and those schools begged them to come. But if schools don't beg us upon being notified that they turned down the NSF, is there still hope of getting them to let you in?

I'd love any advice on this, especially if you have experience with this or know of someone who does!

Well, you would probably want to contact the director of graduate studies in your department and let them know that you would've won. I've heard that people have gotten decisions reversed because of the NSF, and I'd think if schools knew they didn't have to fund you, they'd be more lenient about letting you in.

Personally, I currently attend a grad school I was rejected from initially. I didn't win the NSF or anything while I was applying, but I'd been admitted to some better schools and really thought I should've gotten in. I just called up the grad student director of my program and asked them to reconsider, as I explained my situation. They said sometimes people fall through the cracks and looked over my application again. Happily, I was accepted with a fellowship, and now attend here. So, decisions aren't always set in stone, but you have to be proactive about it, and you should have a reason why they should look at your application again and let you in.

Guest guest

I received an honorable mention as well. Somehow, I don't believe what those previous posts were saying about honorable mentions being an accomplishment....

Guest guestservices
shoot...does te fact I havent got anything yet mean i didnt get it...

I'm thinking that it does...I'm in that boat also.

Guest guest

I got an honorable mention.

fuck that shit, an honorable mention wont pay the bills or put food on the fucking table.

sigh.

Guest Guest

Should we believe you? What are the chances that you are saying this just to mess with our heads? How do we know those posts were not all made by the same person?

To those who got HM, will you post the text of your e-mail?

Guest JonInNYC

I just got the rejection letter, so it does look like they went out an hour or so later than the accepts. Bummer!

Congratulations to those that were accepted.

Guest Guestservices
Should we believe you? What are the chances that you are saying this just to mess with our heads? How do we know those posts were not all made by the same person?

To those who got HM, will you post the text of your e-mail?

Good idea. That would suck if someone was just fooling around.

Guest f*ck.

Your application for a National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship has been evaluated. Although the Foundation is unable to offer you a fellowship, it is my pleasure to inform you that you have been accorded an Honorable Mention. Unless you have previously requested otherwise, your name will be included in the Honorable Mention list that will be posted at https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/.

Applications were reviewed according to the NSF Merit Review Criteria of Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts. To review the rating sheets that were completed for your application, please visit the GRF Operations Center website at http://www.nsfgradfellows.org anytime after April 17, 2006.

If you have questions concerning this action, you may send an e-mail to grfp@nsf.gov . Congratulations and I wish you success in the pursuit of your graduate studies.

Sincerely,

Dr. Debasish Dutta

Acting Division Director

Division of Graduate Education

Guest skilover
I just got the rejection letter, so it does look like they went out an hour or so later than the accepts. Bummer!

Congratulations to those that were accepted.

I haven't got anything. That's why I wonder if they are emailing by fields? I know last year there was some delay between disciplines.

Guest guest

I haven't got anything. That's why I wonder if they are emailing by fields? I know last year there was some delay between disciplines.

anyone who's notified mind saying which field you're in? (soc sciences, math, etc...)?

Guest guest

Rejected, Econ.

Your application for a National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship has been evaluated. We regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive a fellowship in this year’s competition.

Applications were reviewed according to the NSF Merit Review Criteria of Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts. To review the rating sheets that were completed for your application, please visit the GRF Operations Center website at http://www.nsfgradfellows.org anytime after April 17, 2006.

If you have questions concerning this action, please send an e-mail to info@nsfgradfellows.org . Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Research Fellowship Program.

Sincerely,

Dr. Debasish Dutta

Acting Division Director

Division of Graduate Education