Need help picking specialization for MS in EE

dman12

I am an EE undergrad who will be applying for MS programs in EE this fall, but I am still not really sure what field I am interested.

I think I want to do something with a mixture of CS and EE, so i guess this means

computer engineering type stuff like computer architecture or embedded systems.

0) what other fields have a mixture of CS and EE?

1) What skills/theory will I learn if i specialize in comp architecture or embedded systems?

2) what companies would potentially want these sort of people? job prospects in general?

3) what sort of work or tools might I be doing or using if I go into a career in this stuff? would I get to do any programming on the job?

4) Is this stuff more EE or CS? It seems like some schools (like berkeley) list comp architecture under cs.

5) which top schools have strong comp architecture/embedded systems stuff?

6)

basically, I know nothing, so any knowledge about these fields/computer engineering in general would be very helpful. Thanks.

Edited by dman12

I am an EE undergrad who will be applying for MS programs in EE this fall, but I am still not really sure what field I am interested.

I think I want to do something with a mixture of CS and EE, so i guess this means

computer engineering type stuff like computer architecture or embedded systems.

0) what other fields have a mixture of CS and EE?

1) What skills/theory will I learn if i specialize in comp architecture or embedded systems?

2) what companies would potentially want these sort of people? job prospects in general?

3) what sort of work or tools might I be doing or using if I go into a career in this stuff? would I get to do any programming on the job?

4) Is this stuff more EE or CS? It seems like some schools (like berkeley) list comp architecture under cs.

5) which top schools have strong comp architecture/embedded systems stuff?

6)

basically, I know nothing, so any knowledge about these fields/computer engineering in general would be very helpful. Thanks.

It seems like you are pretty set on Architecture, but if you are looking for other areas I'd have to ask what is it you like about computer science, and what is it that you like about electrical engineering. I'm certainly no expert in Architecture, but I do know that a PhD is a really good idea in that area, so keep that in mind.

As far as picking a school, if you are interested in a research oriented degree and you are still a student somewhere, I'd suggest logging into IEEE Xplore (ieeexplore.ieee.org) and finding some papers on topics that interest you. Are you interested in multiprocessors and TLP? To me, superscalar stuff is more interesting, but you might find TLP more interesting. That's where it seems like architecture is headed these days, but like I said I'm no expert (I'm a circuits guy).

As an electrical engineer, I'd say that computer engineering is a lot closer to computer science than electrical engineering, but a CS guy might say the opposite. Of course, we all know that CS guys really have no idea what's going on under the hood anyway. :) If you work in architecture or embedded systems I can almost guarantee you that you won't see any of Maxwell's equations again, or do circuit analysis, but you will be writing code all the time.

I'm certainly no expert in Architecture, but I do know that a PhD is a really good idea in that area, so keep that in mind.

Can you elaborate on this? kind of alarming since i am only looking for an MS....

and honestly, i am not sure what about computer architecture i am interested in haha... that is why i am still kind of unsure what specialization i want to go into

EE is very broad field and going in direction for MS will certainly take you away from the other one. EE sub-major areas are:

Power Systems

Embeded systems & VLSI

Fabrication

Signal Processing

Communications

Control Systems

but if you specialize in Power Systems than you will be quite far from communications and VLSI. Basics remain the same but advance courses differ quite a lot in there direction. I did my MS in control systems and majority of my courses for were cross listed with Aerospace and Mechanical engineering and Mathematics i.e. MS/PhD students from these departments also took the exact same course.

It very much depends where your interests are and what areas did you like better in your undergraduate study.

Can you elaborate on this? kind of alarming since i am only looking for an MS....

and honestly, i am not sure what about computer architecture i am interested in haha... that is why i am still kind of unsure what specialization i want to go into

This is why I asked you what it is that you enjoy about electrical engineering and what you enjoy about CS. The study of computer architecture, while representing the middle 'layer' between electrical engineering and computer science, isn't some sort of hybrid of the two. You don't really need to know that much about electrical engineering to be a good architect, as long as you can understand some basic physical issues that drive research in architecture (like how to reduce power, capacitance, transmission lines, etc).

I need more information on what you enjoy. If you really like VLSI and writing software, you might enjoy design automation, for example. There are lots of areas like this, but you'll have to be more specific about your interests.

Also, the reason that a PhD is pretty much a given in architecture is because it is a heavily research oriented discipline. Architects are the ones driving the next generation of microprocessors. There aren't that many of them, and there isn't much need for architects in areas outside of R&D.

Edited by was1984

This is why I asked you what it is that you enjoy about electrical engineering and what you enjoy about CS. The study of computer architecture, while representing the middle 'layer' between electrical engineering and computer science, isn't some sort of hybrid of the two. You don't really need to know that much about electrical engineering to be a good architect, as long as you can understand some basic physical issues that drive research in architecture (like how to reduce power, capacitance, transmission lines, etc).

I need more information on what you enjoy. If you really like VLSI and writing software, you might enjoy design automation, for example. There are lots of areas like this, but you'll have to be more specific about your interests.

Also, the reason that a PhD is pretty much a given in architecture is because it is a heavily research oriented discipline. Architects are the ones driving the next generation of microprocessors. There aren't that many of them, and there isn't much need for architects in areas outside of R&D.

Well, there are jobs in VLSI besides just the architect right? For example, skilled people are needed to implement the architect's specifications. I guess my question is, there should be many jobs in the field of microprocessor design that dont require a PhD right? Or is the field really dominated by people with PhDs?

Also, I am interested in CS in general (i like coding), but i also found my logic design classes pretty interesting.

Btw, do you (or anyone else) know anything about embedded systems?

Well, there are jobs in VLSI besides just the architect right? For example, skilled people are needed to implement the architect's specifications. I guess my question is, there should be many jobs in the field of microprocessor design that dont require a PhD right? Or is the field really dominated by people with PhDs?

Also, I am interested in CS in general (i like coding), but i also found my logic design classes pretty interesting.

Btw, do you (or anyone else) know anything about embedded systems?

Yes that's definitely true, but they aren't architects. You can definitely get by with a M.S. degree in a field like digital IC design. As a digital designer you could end up doing a lot of things, but many people end up writing hardware using Verilog or VHDL, which have many similarities to writing software. If you enjoyed your digital logic classes this might be a good route for you. Be aware that you probably wouldn't be a designer at first, but would be doing verification on the designs of others. This actually requires a lot of coding, especially in languages like Perl.

I don't honestly know much about embedded systems. It's always just seemed like software engineering in low level languages to me, but I've never had enough interest in it to do much research into it.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to go talk to your undergraduate advisor about what career paths are available to you. It sounds like you could really benefit from a face to face discussion.

Yes that's definitely true, but they aren't architects. You can definitely get by with a M.S. degree in a field like digital IC design. As a digital designer you could end up doing a lot of things, but many people end up writing hardware using Verilog or VHDL, which have many similarities to writing software. If you enjoyed your digital logic classes this might be a good route for you. Be aware that you probably wouldn't be a designer at first, but would be doing verification on the designs of others. This actually requires a lot of coding, especially in languages like Perl.

I don't honestly know much about embedded systems. It's always just seemed like software engineering in low level languages to me, but I've never had enough interest in it to do much research into it.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to go talk to your undergraduate advisor about what career paths are available to you. It sounds like you could really benefit from a face to face discussion.

So the only jobs in microprocessor design that actually requires knowledge in computer architecture and VLSI design are the architects? Alot of the other jobs are more for people that specialize in IC?

So the only jobs in microprocessor design that actually requires knowledge in computer architecture and VLSI design are the architects? Alot of the other jobs are more for people that specialize in IC?

? VLSI design is IC design. There isn't some cut and dried division between architects and VLSI designers, either. Knowledge of both is useful in both areas. If you only want a masters degree, your best bet is probably digital VLSI design if you want to work in this field. I definitely suggest that you talk to an advisor at your university and try to get the lay of the land a little better before going to graduate school.

• 5 years later...