Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Decisions Fall 2011

greener_grass

so are you going to hopkins?

I need to think about it more. Rutgers' name isn't as associated with as much w/ prestige as Hopkins, but Rutgers has some pretty big heavy weights in terms of famous professors and has the best connections w/ industry out of any school I've seen yet. In fact it who you study under may be more important than where you actually go. This is a very tough decision. 10 years from now I think we may see rutgers in the top 10. University of Michigan was very good as well. This is the hardest decision ever.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has anyone started to make any final decisions? I still have 2 more schools and 1 wait list to hear back from but my top school (as of now) wants a decision by the end of March. The problem is that I won't hear back from the school that I am wait listed at until early April, which also happens to be the only school I would pick over my current top choice. Hmmm

Hi...I am an international applicant for PhD biomedical engineering. I have recently been offered admission at UCI with some conditions.

I will be initially admitted as an MS applicant, with me taking full responsibility of my education for atleast the 1st yr. If i maintain a CGPA of 3.5 or higher the first yr, I might "shift to the MS/PhD track without losing time" as said in the email.

Please help me decide. I can take care of my 1yr of education and stay in irvine, but more than that wnt b possible for me. Is this offer worth taking. I am confident of maintaing a steady CGPA. Can I hope to get faculty funding from the 2nd yr onwards. what are the chances and the risks involved. I need all the help from american applicants as they must b more aware of the financial situation right now.

Regards.

So has anyone started to make any final decisions? I still have 2 more schools and 1 wait list to hear back from but my top school (as of now) wants a decision by the end of March. The problem is that I won't hear back from the school that I am wait listed at until early April, which also happens to be the only school I would pick over my current top choice. Hmmm

Schools should NOT be pressuring students to make their decisions before April 15th. There is pretty much a 'gentleman's agreement' between most, if not all schools that they will abide by the April 15th deadline. It's pretty obvious that if schools can figure out who is actually accepting and rejecting their offers, they can more quickly figure out who to take next off their waiting list and workout all the funding issues. Too bad, that's their problem, not yours. Schools should not be making students decide early. You should be reporting schools that are pressuring students to decide early to the heads of the departments at other universities you've interviewed at. I believe there is some sort of panel that they'll get reported to and from which they may receive reprimand from. You can imagine what will happen if more and more schools stop abiding by the April 15th deadline. It will lead to complete anarchy during the admissions process for future applicants and kids won't know what to do when acceptances start rolling in (or not). Ask for an extension at least, they SHOULD give it to you.

Edited by fibonacci

Congrats! When did u apply? Did they let u know by email?

haha, I turned in my application around November 20th. So it took them over 3 months.

A little disappointed I didn't get in the Ph.D. I'll have to pay up 40k + 2 years living costs now...

So, yeah, its almost April the 15th and I still have no response whatsoever of the universities I applied to... I tried sending emails, to which I have no answer, and I am getting really really worried about the status of my applications. does anyone have any kind of advice, I'm in need of some certainty right now

So, yeah, its almost April the 15th and I still have no response whatsoever of the universities I applied to... I tried sending emails, to which I have no answer, and I am getting really really worried about the status of my applications. does anyone have any kind of advice, I'm in need of some certainty right now

I would email the department about your admission status, preferably the graduate admissions administrator or someone similar. If they don't respond (which they often don't), try emailing the department chair or someone else on the BME staff. They'll see your email and respond eventually. You just have to be forward about it.

Good luck!