Anyone applied for a Ph.D. in Information Science / Informatics?

Cosmic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just signed up and this is my first post.

Yes, I have applied to five schools for a Ph. D. program in Library & Information Science. The good news is that I have two interviews lined up for next week!

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should prepare for these interviews?

Cheers,

Ranjit

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have been accepted at the University of South Carolina and the iSchool at Drexel! The iSchool at Drexel has also offered me full scholarship for the entire duration of the Ph. D. program.

The program starts in August, and I guess the time has come for me to achieve the goals that I had set for myself.

Takecare and warm regards,

Ranjit

Edited by Ranjit

Having not seen much talk of anyone applying for PhDs i assumed that not nearly as many people who do post-gard LIS studies go onto a PhD. In the Uni in Ireland theyve just had their first PhD student in a few years graduate.

A lot of people(not all) who do an MLIS or similar are in employment in related fields and seem to go back.

Also many people who do an MLIS seem to have a varied academic hostory and like me are hoping the MLIS opens up PhD paths in other areas. I think my history, american studies, media background and an MLIS will go quite well together for something in international relations. Or i hope at least

I applied to some PhD programs. Seems like most people here are discussing MLIS programs.

in a field that's infamous for having difficult employment prospects it might be difficult to imagine yourself pursuing a ph.d. ...

i'm in an odd inverse situation--i think i'd like to pursue a ph.d. but geography and life's circumstances make it unlikely (the nearest ph.d. program is berkeley but i can't see quitting my job to do this ... )

• 2 weeks later...

I applied, and will be attending, the Information Science PhD program at University of Washington this fall. The department seemed like a great fit and appears to be placing it's graduates fairly well (my fingers are crossed for the future). I am coming from a background in another discipline, and am very excited for the interdisciplinary nature of the UW iSchool's program and of it's faculty (many of whom hold joint/affiliate appointments with other departments on campus, from CS, Engineering, Philosophy, Law, Medicine, etc).

Good luck to everyone, wherever you happen to be this fall.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing the phd Communication/Information program at UTK. I think a lot of people simply think about a phd in Information Science (often assumed to be one in the same 100% of the time as Library science)and don't think about the fact that its not just libraries that can be, and are being, studied. Most phd's in the discipline are now combination or interdisciplinary and can be used in a variety of ways and fields than what someone might initially think.

Not that there is anything wrong about studying libraries. Just that there is a lot more to be studied in combination fields.

Edited by daytime

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm starting a PhD in HIS this September 2017. My background is undergrad HIM, MSc Epi and working in evaluation and knowledge translation thereafter. When I graduated undergrad in '09 there was little interest in HIS - our program was cancelled soon after I graduated but my school reintroduced it at the graduate level and the program is doing well. It's also more interdisciplinary whereas before it was mostly clinically focused (ie, medical/clinical informatics). I hope to research/work in the area of implementation of information systems in developing and resource limited contexts.