University of Kansas

benafflicted

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but seriously considering accepting my offer from Kansas. Anyone know anything about Lawrence or Kansas City? I've always lived in busy cities on the east coast, so I'm a bit skeptical of the mid-west lifestyle. But, still excited for a change of scenery! :D

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but seriously considering accepting my offer from Kansas. Anyone know anything about Lawrence or Kansas City? I've always lived in busy cities on the east coast, so I'm a bit skeptical of the mid-west lifestyle. But, still excited for a change of scenery! :D

Have you visited Lawrence? I did and absolutely loved it. It has everything you could possibly want, yet nothing in excess. That is a relief since I commute to NYC regularly and loathe the crowds, stench, and noise of New York (not to mention the astronomical prices for food). So I look forward to the change in scenery as well. Check out the Lawrence thread in the City Guide forum for info about housing, shops, restaurants, etc. in Lawrence. It's just a lovely place to be a doctoral student, I think. I've been told that two types of freedom exist, and you get both in Lawrence: "Freedom from" (urban stressors), and just enough "freedom to" (divert yourself).

Indeed, I've grown so enamored with KU and Lawrence that I anticipate accepting their offer. I picked them in my NCAA bracket, too!

Lawrence ROCKS. So does KC. But Lawrence is even better. Big enough to find most "city" things, small enough to go from one end to the other in 15 min. Traffic is nonexistent and people are friendly. There are many bars where mostly grad students go. If you want more city-like stuff, KC is less than an hour away. I'm doing my PhD here and love the prospect of being here for 5 years. Might even stay, I like it that much.

• 4 weeks later...

Woo-hoo! I just accepted an invitation to join the Social Psych program at KU. I can't wait to start working! I'm already looking for apartments. Please feel free to PM me if you're also heading to Lawrence, especially if you're in the Social Psych program! All the best!

Woo-hoo! I just accepted an invitation to join the Social Psych program at KU. I can't wait to start working! I'm already looking for apartments. Please feel free to PM me if you're also heading to Lawrence, especially if you're in the Social Psych program! All the best!

I'll see you in Lawrence. I'm heading to KU too for a PhD in humanities.

I'll PM you.

• 1 month later...

Did you decide to go to Kansas or not? I'm also heading to KU for an MA in CREES (Balkan Studies). Does anyone have any tips about moving to Lawrence in August? I'll only have like 10 days to move between August 12, when I get back in the States from overseas, and August 22 when class starts. I have no idea how to find an apartment and when I'm actually going to schedule my classes!

Did you decide to go to Kansas or not? I'm also heading to KU for an MA in CREES (Balkan Studies). Does anyone have any tips about moving to Lawrence in August? I'll only have like 10 days to move between August 12, when I get back in the States from overseas, and August 22 when class starts. I have no idea how to find an apartment and when I'm actually going to schedule my classes!

Congrats and welcome! I'm actually just concluding my apartment hunt (signed and notarized the lease recently, and am searching for a roommate). I'm afraid most leases in Lawrence start August 1st, and students typically secure their housing for the next academic year by May from what I've heard. That said, I'm sure you will be able to find people looking for roommates if not an entire apartment or house that suits you. Housing is generally inexpensive and in good supply in Lawrence, or at least that's what I found. Craigslist is a good resource, but so is padmapper.

With a KU ID, you can log in to Kyou, go to "Enroll and Pay," and register for classes. You may want to clear this with your department as to when it will be OK to register. If you don't have an ID, just set it up here: https://myidentity.ku.edu/setup/login using the ID number that was included with your formal letter of admission. You will also be able to establish an email account.

Hope that helps. Best of luck in making the transition!

Congrats and welcome! I'm actually just concluding my apartment hunt (signed and notarized the lease recently, and am searching for a roommate). I'm afraid most leases in Lawrence start August 1st, and students typically secure their housing for the next academic year by May from what I've heard. That said, I'm sure you will be able to find people looking for roommates if not an entire apartment or house that suits you. Housing is generally inexpensive and in good supply in Lawrence, or at least that's what I found. Craigslist is a good resource, but so is padmapper.

With a KU ID, you can log in to Kyou, go to "Enroll and Pay," and register for classes. You may want to clear this with your department as to when it will be OK to register. If you don't have an ID, just set it up here: https://myidentity.ku.edu/setup/login using the ID number that was included with your formal letter of admission. You will also be able to establish an email account.

Hope that helps. Best of luck in making the transition!

Thanks for the information! I did set up my email today and everything seems to be running smoothly. I guess I'll be looking at apartments on the weekend of the 24th of June, so hopefully I get a sense of the area and can more easily figure out my living situation and maybe find a place to live around that time. My only other worry is that I'm on a fellowship this summer, so I have practically no money for a deposit and I don't know when student loan or fellowship checks come in. I think if I find a place my parents will help me out with the deposit and I'll have to pay them back. That's the only way that I can figure out how to secure a place before I actually move there. I had another idea though. I thought that maybe I could find a sublet for the first month or two and then move into a more permanent apartment. The downfall to that would be that I would have to move in the middle of the first semester and that I would be on an off rental schedule. Eh, I'll pull my resources and figure it out soon enough!

Thanks for the information! I did set up my email today and everything seems to be running smoothly. I guess I'll be looking at apartments on the weekend of the 24th of June, so hopefully I get a sense of the area and can more easily figure out my living situation and maybe find a place to live around that time. My only other worry is that I'm on a fellowship this summer, so I have practically no money for a deposit and I don't know when student loan or fellowship checks come in. I think if I find a place my parents will help me out with the deposit and I'll have to pay them back. That's the only way that I can figure out how to secure a place before I actually move there. I had another idea though. I thought that maybe I could find a sublet for the first month or two and then move into a more permanent apartment. The downfall to that would be that I would have to move in the middle of the first semester and that I would be on an off rental schedule. Eh, I'll pull my resources and figure it out soon enough!

You're welcome! It seems like you're in a bind. Most properties in the Lawrence housing market turn over August 1st. I think the subletting option is viable if you don't have the cash on hand for a deposit, but personally I think it's good to be able to settle down (imagine having to move just after getting used to the neighborhood). In my department, fellowship money is first disbursed in September. Let's hope your folks can help you out with a deposit so you can gain a foothold in town.

It is entirely possible to apply for a place and sign the lease without ever being in Lawrence, by the way. Pictures don't really compare to seeing an apartment yourself, but I decided to just get all documents notarized since the alternative would have meant ponying up airfare, etc for the trip. I was also lucky to get in contact with previous tenants.

Also, I am looking for a male roommate. I suspect you are a female grad (given your username), but if you know of any male grads in need of housing, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

All the best in your search!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...