MSW International concentration

ohme_ohmy

So I'm looking into applying to graduate school for either fall of 2012 or 2013 and trying to pin down the right program for me. I'm very interested in an MSW specifically working with women in developing countries. I'm leaning towards the clinical track because I want to work directly with people. I know there has been some threads already posted regarding MSW programs with an international/global service concentration. I've been looking into a few specific programs in NYC: Columbia, Fordham, Hunter College, NYU and I'm wondering if anyone who is currently attending any of these programs could shed some light on your experience thus far. I've been reading a lot about programs that lean more heavily on the clinical side vs. the policy end. While I'm inclined to focus more on the clinical side, some experience on the policy end might be beneficial as well.

I'm also wondering (in regards to concentration) if it might be better to concentrate on family, children, youth and do my field work in an international setting. Or is it better to concentrate on international social welfare specifically?

Any input is much appreciated!

• 10 months later...

Hi, I know it's been a year, but if you still sign on do you mind sharing where you ended up? I'm also interested in working with women in developing countries and am trying to decide between Columbia and Fordham.

Hi mmatchMSW2014 - I'm interested in hearing where you decide to go! Do you blog or anything so I can keep up w/your journey? I'm applying to USC for their online program, but I'm unsure about concentrations. My first MA was in Crosscultural Studies w/dual concentrations on urban development and international development, so I'm still wavering between working w/immigrants here in the US and women/children in developing countries. Would love to hear more about your interests!

Hi mmatchMSW2014 - I'm interested in hearing where you decide to go! Do you blog or anything so I can keep up w/your journey? I'm applying to USC for their online program, but I'm unsure about concentrations. My first MA was in Crosscultural Studies w/dual concentrations on urban development and international development, so I'm still wavering between working w/immigrants here in the US and women/children in developing countries. Would love to hear more about your interests!

Hi hanadul83: What great encouragement! I've started a few blogs in my lifetime to share photography and travel stories and sadly haven't done such a great job keeping up with them. That said, I'd love to write again and writing about social work would be a good place to start. How about you? Do you have a blog you can share?

Good for you for going back for your second masters! The MSW will be my first and probably only degree (so expensive!) but I'm really excited about it. My professional experience/interests are in education (was a Spanish teacher but interested in experiential ed), youth mentoring (adolescent girls), coaching (esp. volleyball), social media (for networking and information dissemination), and the disability field. I've worked in both the US and Peru and traveled extensively in South America. I'm not sure exactly how it'll all play out during school and after graduating, but I'd like to find a way to focus my skills interests in one area and the one I'm most interested in is girls/women's education (traditional and informal means) as a tool for development. Keep me posted on your program!