Where are the PhD BME Applicants for Fall 2012?

WJS

@ghanada: I'm sure BU would be great. There are a lot of optical companies in the Boston area so it seems like even after graduation, you could have a lot of potential future routes. Let us know where you do end up though! I'll do the same, but I am guessing that I won't be able to decide till I hear back from NSF.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey how is it going? I applied to (all BME programs) Rice U, MIT, GaTech, UT-Austin and Rice (chemistry). I have been rejected by Rice (BME) and MIT but was accepted to GaTech and waiting on the other two although GaTech is my number one anyway. I recieved full funding as well via the department (~28k). Are you going to recruitment days? What professors are you thinking of working with or what research area do you want to work in?

Hey sorry for the delayed response! I am definitely going to the recruitment weekend at GT. I am mostly interersted in Neuroengineering and requested to interview with Drs. Stanley, Ting, Butera, Kemp, Nichols, and LaPlaca.

What are you mostly interested in/ are you going to the recruitment weekend? If so I'll probably see you there, though I probably won't know it is you haha.

Edited by xernieballerx

got my acceptance to Columbia!!! Argh, now a tough decision between Columbia and BU =(

good luck on the rest of your apps everyone. Also, if anyone is going to the BU visit days tomorrow, I'll see you there!

Hey sorry for the delayed response! I am definitely going to the recruitment weekend at GT. I am mostly interersted in Neuroengineering and requested to interview with Drs. Stanley, Ting, Butera, Kemp, Nichols, and LaPlaca.

What are you mostly interested in/ are you going to the recruitment weekend? If so I'll probably see you there, though I probably won't know it is you haha.

Hey xernieballerx, nice to see another considering gatech. Yea I am definitely going to the recruitment day. I more interested in the cardiovascular mechanics area so I am looking more at like Platt, Gleason, and Yoganathan. if you want to talk more shoot me an email at ztm2587@gmail.com See you in Atlanta..

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to attend or has done a visit at UMich? I am getting a late recruitment effort from a professor there and could really use some thoughts on the program? I applied there, assumed I was rejected, and then haven't looked into the school at all. I might fly out next week to check it out, but seeing as how we are so close to April 15th I don't get much time to think about the program. I guess I got rejected from BME but would go through the EE dept and work in a BME lab if that matters.

Any thoughts on reputation, prestige, Ann Arbor as a place to live, career opportunities after graduation for academia or industry, etc? I have only lived in LA and Boston and know nothing about Michigan and could really use any commentary from people familiar with the school or area.

• 2 weeks later...

Man this thread has really gone quiet for the last month now. But for posterity sake, here's my final results:

Applied for BioE/BME [PhD] at: UCSD, USC, UCLA, Berkeley/UCSF, Stanford, U Washington, Duke, MIT, U Michigan, UPenn, Columbia, Northwestern, JHU, U Pitts, Brown, U Minnesota, Boston U, CCNY

Rejected: UCSD, Berkeley/UCSF, Stanford, U Washington, MIT, UPenn, U Minnesota, Duke, Northwestern, JHU, Brown, UCLA, USC

Interviews: Columbia

Accepted (all with full funding): Boston University, Columbia, U Michigan

Attending: U Michigan

• 1 month later...

This thread has been dead for a while, but just in case the previous poster that replied to me sees this: I chose West coast schools to be near family and friends (silly, I know). Turns out it was a very stupid idea, as I was rejected from absolutely every single school. Was waitlisted at some point at UCSD, UCLA ChemE, UC Davis BME, but ultimately rejected from all.

Just going to find a job for the meantime, and think about whether I still have the heart to apply to schools again next year. If i do apply again later this year, it would be my 3rd year applying in row, and frankly, I'm exhausted. I got into University of Florida the first time applying, no schools this second time applying, and I have little faith that I'd get in anywhere decent this year...

Major: ChemE from Top 10 Engineering School

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

GRE: 590V / 740Q / 5.5W

Research: 2 years in drug-delivery focused lab in ChemE, 1 year in drug delivery BioE lab (1 publication pending)

Work experience: 1 year as chemical process engineer in manufacturing industry

Applied: UCSF/UCB, UCSD, UW, UC Davis (BME and ChemE), USC, UCLA (BME and ChemE), Caltech, Stanford

Rejected: The whole lot of 'em.

Cheers to the ones that got in! And an "I know that feel bro" to the ones who didn't, like me :)

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have info on admissions to CCNY BME? I am applying to a few top 20 schools for Ph.D. but have a feeling I won't get in to any. It's not ranked very high but I have research interests similar to a lot of the professors there. Is the acceptance rate low or is it a bit easier to get in? Any help would be great! (ghanada any input?)

I got rejected from CCNY on May 10th. I turned my app in around December. I got no feedback at all from them at all and actually just assumed they weren't even taking applications seriously. I never hear anyone talk about that school and whenever I mentioned it nobody even knew that school had a BME program. I am kind of confused as to how it ranks so highly on PhDs.org. You should apply, but honestly I wouldn't necessarily count on them unless you can talk to a POI personally.

I don't think anyone else in this forum even applied there.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I posted this in the "Decisions Decisions" topic already, but I feel like my fellow BME applicants would have some better insights. Here is my scenario:

I am currently accepted to the BME PhD at Boston University and I have an interview for BME PhD at Columbia coming up. Now BU is highly regarded within the BME field (top 10), but not as well respected as a graduate engineering school in general (top 50). However, Columbia is pretty much the opposite with only being top 20 in BME specifically, but top 15 for graduate engineering.

When did you hear back from Columbia for an interview? I am still waiting