Where are the PhD BME Applicants for Fall 2012?

WJS

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

It seems like a few of you have already gone to recruitment weekends. Mine are starting this week and I was wondering how formal did you dress? Should I go out and get a formal jacket or you think I can just wear a nice blouse and dress pants? What makes it worse is I will be attending a recruitment weekend during a possible snow storm ><... Thanks for all your help!

I was there this previous weekend and I would really have to disagree on that one. Everyone seemed very welcoming and happy to have everyone there.

Come on, you have to let those of us who were rejected have something to feel better about.. can't you tell us how awful it was and how we're SO lucky not to get an interview? (In all seriousness though, the few people I know at Stanford have described the atmosphere as 'laid back'. I'm glad you enjoyed it!)

Hey guys,

It seems like a few of you have already gone to recruitment weekends. Mine are starting this week and I was wondering how formal did you dress? Should I go out and get a formal jacket or you think I can just wear a nice blouse and dress pants? What makes it worse is I will be attending a recruitment weekend during a possible snow storm ><... Thanks for all your help!

My gut reaction would have been blouse and dress pants are fine, but I have seen a surprising number of blazers and suits so far. Someone mentioned to me that engineering recruitment events tend to be a bit more formal than other academic disciplines, but I think it just really depends on the school. Some of my schools have requested formal jackets, others have said 'business casual' (which I'm taking to mean no jacket). IMO, the best policy is just to ask, and the second best policy is to wear what makes you feel comfortable - imagine being the only person with a jacket or the only person without one. For my part, I avoid wearing a formal jacket when it can be avoided (and I do believe this is much easier to get away with if you're female). Good luck!

@ ghanada, I also applied to USC and apparently they sent out invites to interviews because a friend of mine is going soon. I contacted them, though, and they said they haven't made decisions yet. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I had a really nice interview with a professor from University of Florida. They are doing the exact research that I want to do, so I'm really excited about that.

Damn...I'm hoping USC isn't done with acceptances yet. There hasn't really been much talk of USC and nobody has posted on the results survey so I just assumed there was nothing happening yet. It seems like not a lot of people around here are applying there?

I emailed the grad advisor at USC, who said that they have sent acceptances to those receiving fellowships. They're still reviewing apps, though, and hope to notify everyone by March 15th.

Not so far, but I seriously hope I do get an interview. I emailed a few of the profs that i'm interested in working with but i haven't heard back from any of them.

If you don't mind me asking, which professors are those?

Not so far, but I seriously hope I do get an interview. I emailed a few of the profs that i'm interested in working with but i haven't heard back from any of them.

Sooo if you know the final recruitment weekend, do you know if they are still inviting people to it or if that final weekend was just an option for everyone who has ALREADY been invited? I get the sense that it is the latter case and they aren't still inviting anyone else (unless maybe all the admits have turned them down?) haha I wish that was the case, but for some reason I would never believe that.

Hi

I am an international student and applied to MIT Biological Engineering. I know result survey page says that some have got interviews/rejections but I haven't really got anything. 2 days back I got a mail from them saying -

Thank you for you interest in the Biological Engineering Program at MIT. Your Application for Admissions to our Department for 09 / 2012 has been received and is complete, and is currently under review. No decision has been made yet.

Applicants have been selected for our interview weekend at this point. However if your application is selected in this round, then telephone/skype Interviews will be conducted or a different visit date will be arranged if applicable.

Please be patient and we will notify you of the decision on your application shortly.

Thank you

Department of Biological Engineering

I don't know what should I infer from this. This is getting really frustrating. Is there someone else who has received a similar kind of mail or what? I have acceptances from JHU(ChemBE), GT(BME) and UMinn(ChemE). So, I don't know if I should wait for a rejection letter to atleast come in or what? Let me know if anyone knows about this.........please...

Thanks

Does anyone have any tips on how to prep for the visits?

I know you mentioned earlier in this thread that you are interviewing at UCLA? I don't have any tips (as I have yet to goto my interview next week), but if you want to know anything about UCLA in general and the area, let me know. I spent about every day of my life there for 8 years so I am pretty familiar =)

Does anyone have any tips on how to prep for the visits?

I can provide some insight:

Know your professors and have an idea of what they do (no need to be an expert)

KNOW and be able to clearly explain your prior research - this is absolutely key. If you can't clearly and competently explain your research you're in trouble. This is what you're going to do as a grad student and they need to know you can do this well. Be prepared for difficult questions.

Look and act professional

Use your interviews to evaluate your fit into the program and school. Just because the school is more highly ranked doesn't necessarily mean it's the best fit for you, so use your visit wisely.

Good luck!

Anyone else who's been accepted into Georgia Tech (PhD)? I got accepted with full funding from the department and was just wondering if everyone who got accepted received similar funding offers. Thanks!

Applied: U Washington, Oregon Health & Sci U, ASU, Utah, Colorado @ Boulder, Northwestern, Case Western, Pitt, Georgia Tech

Rejected: U Washington

Accepted: Georgia Tech, Case Western

I'm pretty sure it is a mix of both those reasons. Keep in mind that many schools reviews apps on a rolling basis. I know for lots of my schools I submitted my apps a few days before the deadline, but my recommenders took weeks to submit and transcripts/GRE scores took a little while as well. Schools won't even start to distribute your apps to admission committees until every item is complete.

But since this is my 2nd time applying, I can confirm that some schools don't care about rejections. I would estimate about 1/4 might not even send you anything letting you know about rejections. You might be able to just check your status online and figure out for yourself. But I definitely had some schools that pretty much never even acknowledged that I even applied.

Anyone else who's been accepted into Georgia Tech (PhD)? I got accepted with full funding from the department and was just wondering if everyone who got accepted received similar funding offers. Thanks!

Applied: U Washington, Oregon Health & Sci U, ASU, Utah, Colorado @ Boulder, Northwestern, Case Western, Pitt, Georgia Tech

Rejected: U Washington

Accepted: Georgia Tech, Case Western

Hey how is it going? I applied to (all BME programs) Rice U, MIT, GaTech, UT-Austin and Rice (chemistry). I have been rejected by Rice (BME) and MIT but was accepted to GaTech and waiting on the other two although GaTech is my number one anyway. I recieved full funding as well via the department (~28k). Are you going to recruitment days? What professors are you thinking of working with or what research area do you want to work in?

I know you mentioned earlier in this thread that you are interviewing at UCLA? I don't have any tips (as I have yet to goto my interview next week), but if you want to know anything about UCLA in general and the area, let me know. I spent about every day of my life there for 8 years so I am pretty familiar =)

Yes please, any suggestions on where to eat? I am from CA so I've been to all the touristy spots but I'm looking for good korean bbq eateries and more local places to explore. Also, do you have any info about the BME program at UCLA? I know it's younger than other schools so do you have an idea on how their funding situations or classes are/ Any info will help! Thanks ghanada!