Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

inksoul:

I don't know about Taiwan, but I heard from the China Program Officer that notifications for China are still 1-2 weeks away. Early April was his forecast. Good luck! I'm waiting to hear back from China, clearly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL::::

I spoke with someone at Fulbright comission and they said they sent out letters on Wednesdays only. I do not know if this might be of help to anyone, but i hope it does. Good luck to all of you!

I think that the way notifications are sent out varies by country and/or region. My friend got notification via email for Austria. Conversely, I was told that all positive notifications for China are send hardcopy from the country office. The U.S. headquarters will only contact finalists directly if they are wait-listed or selected out of the program.

Had my interview with the UK officials in the first week of March. Hopefully I sounded half as good as my application. No word yet via mail, so I'm in limbo on where to accept. I have three offers stateside and one in the UK.

Taking the time to get some items published and pick up some programming skills.

Edit: They also suggested the choices would be made in two days. I actually thought we might hear from them before the confirmation by the final US panel, but I suppose not. I emailed a project coordinator about my acceptance to Leeds and asked if letters had been mailed.

Hiya there. Just adding in another result. I applied for a Fulbright to do neuroscience research in Japan. Got an email from the Japanese agency earlier today that I have been selected for a grant. No interview was required. I've been accepted to a few fantastic PhD programs but haven't decided on one yet, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll be deferring for a year.

I'm a Greece-Fulbright finalist...Has anyone applied for Greece or heard from the Greek Fulbright committee yet? Also, are interviews with the country committee normal? My school never said anything about those...

i don't personally know anyone that applied to Greece but I would recommend calling IIE Program Manager: Rachel Holskin

212-984-5326 and asking her if Greece has made their decisions and when should you expect a letter of admission or rejection. She is really helpful and would give you the best information. Only some countries hold interviews, usually the countries that have a lot of applicants like the U.K and Germany.

I hope this is helpful!

Only some countries hold interviews, usually the countries that have a lot of applicants like the U.K and Germany.

I'm a finalist for Germany, and unless someone's hiding something from me, we don't have interviews. (This might have something to do with the fact that there are roughly 8 times the number of spots in Germany as in the UK according to the U. S. Student Programs booklet.) Incidentally, I've communicated this to people via PM, but for those who might be lurking, I spoke with Fulbright about a week ago and was told that Germany had yet to make decisions. While they were hoping it would be done this week, it might not be until the middle of April. I could make some noises about how it's better to know this, but frankly, it really hasn't made the wait much better. YMMV.

Edited for math and grammar (7:41 pm).

Hi folks. I'm a research applicant for Ecuador, 09-10. I've made the Jan round and now await final note from the Comission in Ecuador, anytime from March through May. That's quite a window, but I'll post additional info when I have news. BTW, if you're rejected for this "best and final" round or are named an alternate, you receive note from the IEE office directly. All official offers are sent from the Commission in the host country directly, at least that's what the Jan e-mail indicated. Good luck all, c

For anyone that has applied to Greece, I just spoke with Rachel Holskin and she said the letters are being mailed out today. Does anyone know if these letters come from the host country or the US?

The final authority on all decisions is the President's Fulbright Commission's. So the decisions will come from the US.

I applied to Sri Lanka and got past the first round. I heard from other Sri Lanka applicants that you hear back about the final round in mid-April- around Easter. I just wanna know already!!! This is killing me!! The other problem is that I need to let my work know whether or not I'm staying next year and I can't wait until mid-April. I've been considering calling the Fulbright office in Sri Lanka, but I don't know if that's a smart decision. Any thoughts?

Summernights, I am not sure calling the people in Sri Lanka would help much. You have to keep in mind that even if the host company does accept your application, there is always a chance that the Fulbright's Commissioner Board might disagree with their decision and turn down your application. Though, I am not certain about the how much they agree with the hosting country in the their final decision.

Does anyone else know about this? Is it commonplace or rare that the Fulbright Commission rejects the host country's decision?

Summernights, I am not sure calling the people in Sri Lanka would help much. You have to keep in mind that even if the host company does accept your application, there is always a chance that the Fulbright's Commissioner Board might disagree with their decision and turn down your application. Though, I am not certain about the how much they agree with the hosting country in the their final decision.

Does anyone else know about this? Is it commonplace or rare that the Fulbright Commission rejects the host country's decision?

Unless there are compelling concerns about a particular applicant's suitability for any reason (health, financial, etc.), the Commission will typically go with the host country's decisions.

I think those that have applied to Europe will recieve some information the next week. I mean it looks good. I really think that what the program manager for europe said was true that for Europe they mail out acceptances on Wednesdays

This is a good website to calculate the day best to check your email. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ just type in regular envelop and put your zip code and their zipcode is 10017

I was bored one day and I thought this might be a good way to pass the time.

I wish everyone the best of luck, since I kno that this is a anxious time!

Thanks for suggestions, but now I'm a little confused about the process. Step 1: IIE selects the first round of applicants (twice as many applicants as there are spaces for) and sends them to the host country. Step 2: The host country picks one out every two applications they receive.

At least, this is what I was told by the Fulbright office at my school (University of Michigan). So why would the New York office (the IIE office) send any applications to the host country that they wouldn't want to get picked??