Has anyone else started early? How are you liking it?

stell4

My program does not start for a month and I've already moved and settled in. Once I let my PI know I was here he had me come in to meet up and just like that I have a research topic to get started on, a human use protocol to start, and I am helping a current student do some prelim. tests. So far I love my program and every one in it including my PI have been extremely helpful and welcoming. I am a little sad I am loosing some of my summer to explore the new city and surrounding area, but I am happy I have the chance to get a head start on everything.

Anyone else get an early start? How's it going so far?

Edited by stell4

I didn't do an early start, but maybe I should have, and I easily could have. We have a student in my group who came early, and he's pushing through a lot of the coursework that he will need to do next year. I think I would have made a LOT more progress on my research if I had gotten a lot of that basic knowledge and especially those assignments out of the way. I was hesitant to start early because I didn't think I would know enough to do so, and instead did a summer research project at my undergrad institution to get me up to speed. Had I known that I would have just been going through coursework I would have been much more willing.

As soon as I found out I got into my program, I contacted one of the professors I was most interested in working with and set up a summer research assistant position. It's going well, but there was definitely a steep learning curve. I'm glad I started early, since the learning curve probably would've made my life miserable if I had had to do it while taking classes.

tl;dr I like my summer research position.

My program had a summer program in which I was supposed to start in July. I am delaying in to the beginning of Aug and start the summer program. It sucks because I do not have any break over the summer plus the fact that I am also working now and have to leave soon, which mean I have no break from my job and this summer program.

I moved and started research for my program mid-May. At first, i was disappointed I was losing all of my summer. I went straight from my job in upstate NY to home for two weeks to pack and prepare, and then out to the West Coast to begin work at my university. I've been working two and a half months now, and I am so glad that I came out early. I was asked to be onsite to help another current grad student with data collection for her PhD project, but I have also started collecting data for my own and I have already learned so much. I am in the biological sciences program, so I have learned how to take blood draws and fat biopsies, and how to use a dart gun - we are working with large carnivores in our studies. I love the fact that it is so hands on, especially because once classes start and our subjects go into hibernation, we won't have much time with them over the late fall and winter.

In short, I LOVE the fact that I came out really early and got a head start on everything. I am pretty familiar with the area I live in now, I've made some awesome friends (those in my cohort...and their friends too!), and I feel like I won't be quite so overwhelmed trying to learn everything all at once when classes start in August. It's definitely been beneficial, and a great way to get my brain jumpstarted.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved early because although I was really excited about my school/program I was less than thrilled about where I was going to have to live so I wanted to get my life outside of school set up so I wouldn't be making two adjustments at once. I am doing some informal museum work for my adviser, which I am really liking as I am getting into a good working relationship with her before the harder coursework and am also able to slowly ease back into more structured academic work. Hurray for starting early!

Started brainstorming my thesis with my supervisor in May for a September course start. It has been great to form a good relationship with him so early, and have already taken some really useful training courses relevant to my thesis. The downside, apart from the 'extra' fun I could be having this summer is not having the time to go home to see family. I think my supervisor thinks I'm from this city, and I haven't brought up my personal life, but it does suck not being home for a bit before starting somewhere new for a big stretch, especially when they're so far away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm similar to MaxiJaz! Moved out here in late July, spent a week furnishing and unpacking, spent a week handling paperwork and specifics (HR, payroll, campus registration, drivers license, voter registration, license plate, taxes, insurance, oil change, adopting pets, vet visits, finding a church), spent a week getting to know cohort members and current grad students, and spent a week (this week) getting a huge head start on research with my advisor.

The thumb-twiddling time is a little difficult psychologically--you start ruminating over the huge hurdles in your immediate future--but remind yourself to take things one step at a time. I'm grateful for this time. If I'd had to do all of the above while also worrying about school I would've been a basketcase.

I started in may. while it didn't turn out the way I expected with an advisor, I am glad I did. I mad good connections with other professors and students. I also got to know the area very well.