Below 3.5 GPA and 304 on the GRE -- Do I have a chance?

blogstarphd

Ok really? You didn't tell us anything else. Do you have any research experience? publications? presentations? strong letters of rec?

Can't really tell you anything without that info. But you may want to look into some MA programs as a way to buff up your application for top PhD programs

sounds like you have some decent research experience. GPA and GRE are a little low for a top 20 if thats what your really looking for. At the same time, when I talked to a prof at a top 10 school about admissions, the main thing she said was "It is a really irrational process." So it's really tough to tell what you should be shooting for. I'm dealing with a lower GPA as well (by lower I mean not 3.9, like I feel most everybody has on this board) so I understand your apprehension. In my experience talking with some profs at top 20s, the main thing you can do to make yourself attractive is make the case for fit.

Your GPA is kind of low and so are both sections of your GRE. However, that can possibly be overlooked if you have substantial research experience assuming you meet any arbitrary cutoffs.

I am only applying for 2-3 programs in the top 20, but it's a really random process in a lot of cases. You have some people with nearly perfect GRE scores who only get in one or two places with the same amount of research experience as someone who gets in multiple places with much lower GRE scores. So, fit and all those often under looked aspects are important.

I would just apply really spread out if I were you; it's the same advice I've given myself. I have an A- GPA, high verbal/AW score, unimpressive quant score, but ran an independent research project. You just never know what they're looking for in any given application cycle.

I got into a top ten school with a 3.26 GPA (with a high GRE score), but it was the only one of the five schools in the top 25 that I applied to that I got into. I know a girl with low GRE (I think it was along the lines of 500v/590q from a non native speaker; something like that) scores and a decent GPA from her masters program (no idea about her undergrad GPA) who applied to a couple of schools in the top 20 but got into none. One of the problems is that there's often a "presort" at top 10/25 schools where scores under a certain threshold are sorted out. Depending on things, you might just barely make this cut at some schools but that might not bode well for the process in general. In general, though, it looks like your GRE scores might keep you out of those schools. I remember a girl on this board who had like just under 1200 cumulative and got into Iowa and I think one other school (I forget what her GPA was though). I think at a lot of the schools outside of the top 25 take pretty small cohorts (think two to four kids) so then match becomes hugely important. Unless there's some thing extra ordinary about you you're not telling us, your chances at a top 25 school are probably not that great, but, assuming your SOP, writing sample, letters, and what not are good (aka "the part of the application that actually matters"), I think you'll be competitive at other programs in the top 50.

This thing abut GRE cut..

I had a skype-chat with someone at one of my schools yesterday (top10) and was told that the GRE weeding out was done by the Grad Office. The only way you would get weeded out at that point was if you had a very, very low GRE. After that it seemed more a one small thing among the rest. Good GRE - good for you. Poor Gre (<50 percentile)- meh if you've got other qualifications then it probably wont matter. I have a rather poor quant GRE for my field but it seems like my research experience and ability to finish things (projects) will counterweight that.

ps. I just submitted all my applications so perhaps my optimistic side is just "ok now I'm done with the worrying - time for waiting"

Edited by cherub

I have a somewhat low quant score too (just below 50th percentile) but a high verbal score (91st percentile) that I hope will balance things out. I also have other factors that I feel make me competitive all around, but I guess we'll see.

I had a skype-chat with someone at one of my schools yesterday (top10) and was told that the GRE weeding out was done by the Grad Office. The only way you would get weeded out at that point was if you had a very, very low GRE. After that it seemed more a one small thing among the rest.

Out of curiosity, did they tell you what counted as a "very, very low GRE"?

Edited by jacib

Out of curiosity, did they tell you what counted as a "very, very low GRE"?

I talked about my GRE (which according to this board is not up to par..) and that was the reply I got. The only clarity I received in that area was that there is little risk of not even being looked at just because your GRE is less than the average for a school.

I have a somewhat low quant score too (just below 50th percentile) but a high verbal score (91st percentile) that I hope will balance things out. I also have other factors that I feel make me competitive all around, but I guess we'll see.

I think we pretty much have identical GRE scores after my retake, but I admit.. I do struggle almost daily with how low I feel the quant is (again, compared to this board). I hope it isn't my Achilles' heel!

Department secretaries throw out applications, or at least put them in an autoreject pile before sending them to committee. Such an application might get a second glance for letter writer names or at the CV, but does not fare well. These people are under time constraints, and have to narrow the pile down before giving substantive attention to an application.