IR jobs outside of the DC/NYC area

dyavrom

Does anyone here plan to get a degree in IR, Intl Econ or International Policy and Trade then plan to work in areas outside of NYC and DC?  Just curious if there are any job opportunties outside of the DC/NYC areas.  I am deciding between SAIS (no aid) vs USC (1/2 aid) and would like to know if there is any career mobility in this line of work.  I would imagine some organizations that work with the Pacific Rim would be based out on the west coast, but I couldnt find any.

Thank you

Edited by dyavrom

I have had this same problem.  I did work for a consulting company on the west coast for several years before going to DC for school.  I would love to get back to the west coast after graduating, but there are very few options.  There may be Asia-oriented companies on the west coast, but they are hard to find (plus, most companies have a policy office in DC).

One company I can think of is Monitor 360. They contract with different US gov agencies who are working with international partners. They're based in San Fran.

I think it's going to be difficult, unless you can find yourself a somewhat obscure niche.

I recently spoke to a public poicy grad (about 10 years out) who had to follow his wife to Boston from DC for a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity for her. Two years later, he is essentially telecommuting to DC (with very frequent travel back and forth), because he just wasn't able to find an organization in Boston that did the same level of work in national/international energy issues, which is his area of expertise.

So I guess it also depends on what kinds of jobs you want. If you hope to work for a non-profit org that works with East Asian immigrants, then you can probably have your pick in California. But if you want to work with an agency that tries to influence federal or international policy on trade issues, I think you would be pretty handicapped being outside of the Beltway.

I guess the question was more US-focused.

Of course there are also plenty of jobs in IR in Europe. And not only in the EU or in lobbying in Brussels. Geneva, Vienna, London among others.