Language proficiency

I have accumulated quite a few languages, but my worry is program 'fit'. What if I am interested in a prof's methodology and his teaching subjects, but don't really know the languages he works in (Spanish, Arabic and Hebrew in my case).

Do programs allow for language learning in order to make a better fit?

I am confused. Answers will be appreciated!

If there are any other medievalists out there...do your schools accept ancient langauges (other than Latin)? Mine doesn't even though they have one of the best Germanic langauges programs in the country. So, even though I am proficient in Old English and plan on taking more of that as well as Old Norse it won't count towards the requirement. I minored in Spanish in undergrad and also took Latin so I'll probably try to test out of those, even though I want to take French and German as well.

Edited by guinevere29

I have Engluish, German, French, Italian (reading only), Latin, Old English, Old French, Old Irish, Medieval Welsh, Ancient Greek, a little Russian and a little Modern Irish. I don't have Spanish or Hebrew or Arabic, but I am quick with languages.

Will this prof be interested in me even if I dont have his languages or what should I do?

He also works on allegorical and mystical literature in the Middle Ages...

Help? Advice? Comments?

From what I know about languages for medievalists/early modernists (the only fielsd other than comp lit for which languages *really* matter in most programs' eyes), there is absolutely no need to have your languages "match" those of your profs as long as you have the required language for whichever medieval/early modern field you plan on specializing in.  But with that list, I doubt anyone would bat an eye at you not having the other languages, unless the only reason you're applying to that particular program is to work with that professor, in which case you may want to reconsider applying to such a program in the first place.  Remember, it's never a good idea to apply to a program that only has one faculty member who really piques your interest.  Hope this helps!

From what I know about languages for medievalists/early modernists (the only fielsd other than comp lit for which languages *really* matter in most programs' eyes), there is absolutely no need to have your languages "match" those of your profs as long as you have the required language for whichever medieval/early modern field you plan on specializing in.  But with that list, I doubt anyone would bat an eye at you not having the other languages, unless the only reason you're applying to that particular program is to work with that professor, in which case you may want to reconsider applying to such a program in the first place.  Remember, it's never a good idea to apply to a program that only has one faculty member who really piques your interest.  Hope this helps!

bdon, you're a star!

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for in a long time and I will tell you why. I was in contact with my POI and he told me to definitely contact that professor to have him on board to support my application, but that's the one who does the languages I don't have. So therefore I thought 'how can I get his support in the ad com if I don't have his languages and can therefore not really work with him'. But your answer clarified that a lot!!!

Can I ask how you know this? Not that I don't believe you but I am just curious!

Thanks again :D

M