Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Choosing a topic for an MA thesis in Sociolinguistics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sarah saber

sarah saber

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:linguistics

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone can help me choose a topic in sociolinguistics. i just need some help to be on the right track. i want to apply it on both Arabic and English language. i am currently reading some references about sociolinguistics. so, i was hoping for anyone to help me out

#2 fuzzylogician

fuzzylogician

Cup o' Joe

• Senior Moderators
  • 3,481 posts
  • Program:Linguistics

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Say more. What kinds of questions interest you -- think back to articles you've read and enjoyed. How would you apply your research to Arabic, do you have access to speakers? Why compare English and Arabic, what aspects do you find interesting?
The advice in this post is based on my own personal experience. YMMV.
Pardon my typos..

#3 LinguisticMystic

LinguisticMystic

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

I'm doing my MA in sociolinguistics, too. I could probably give you some advice if you provided more information along the lines of what Fuzzy suggested. Especially considering the resources available to you is important -- a lot of sociolx research depends on collecting speech data or relying on corpora. But the field is really broad in what it considers, so it's definitely necessary to narrow your scope. Labov argues that all linguistic inquiry is (or should be) sociolinguistic in nature, after all.

#4 sarah saber

sarah saber

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

i do have access to both English and Arabic native speakers.  so, that's why i want to apply it on both and have it as a comparative study. i was also thinking about dialects description, or how does speech reflects society, i know that i have to read plenty of things to come up with a good topic, specially that i want an interesting one and not exhausted before. i am currently reading The Routledge Companion to Sociolinguistics and searching for articles about sociolinguistics.

#5 LinguisticMystic

LinguisticMystic

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

It sounds like you might be newly exploring the field. I could suggest looking at some papers from the Language and Linguistics Compass. That might give you an idea of what sorts of things you might consider doing. Here's a list of all the sociolinguistics titles: http://linguistics-c...ciolinguistics/

If you want to compare English and Arabic, you'll need to think about what's special or interesting about differences or similarities between the languages or how they are used (e.g., if you want to do discourse analysis) in some aspect which has social relevance. That's great you have access to speakers of the languages, though.

#6 sarah saber

sarah saber

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

It sounds like you might be newly exploring the field. I could suggest looking at some papers from the Language and Linguistics Compass. That might give you an idea of what sorts of things you might consider doing. Here's a list of all the sociolinguistics titles: http://linguistics-c...ciolinguistics/

If you want to compare English and Arabic, you'll need to think about what's special or interesting about differences or similarities between the languages or how they are used (e.g., if you want to do discourse analysis) in some aspect which has social relevance. That's great you have access to speakers of the languages, though.

thanks a lot, i will review this link, and hopefully it will benefit me, and thanks a million for your concern i really appreciate it. i will indeed need to read everything about sociolinguistics to explore it more as i did not study it widely in college.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users