EAPSI 2014

guttata

I'm curious about the RCR requirements. So far as I know, I've never received any and certainly don't have any certificates. What information I can find about it says that it's required for students and researchers paid off of NSF grants awarded in 2010 or later. Besides the fact that I'm not paid off an NSF grant, our last grant  was awarded in 2009, and I found a statement that essentially said I was grandfathered in and not required; thus, I've got nothing to report. Anyone got any insight?

Frogism, you might check with your institution. The citiprogram site is just one option, you can also receive training through your institution. They might have something more specific/appropriate available.

I was just looking at this as well. It seems like my university offers some program for this, but I've never taken it. They also teach us this stuff for a few weeks in one of our required courses, so I'm thinking of listing that on my resume (even though it's not a certificate). I'm assuming it's like when you apply for a government job and they ask if you have a security clearance - it just makes their job easier if they do, but it's not required and you'll get one after you're accepted. I'd assume it works the same way here, where if we're accepted then we'll be funded by NSF and hence have to take an RCR course.

for the "responsible conduct of research" training part, the citiprogram website offers 5 flavors of these courses: biomedical, social/behavioral, physical, humanities, and engineering. anyone know what ecological and evolutionary studies of non-model organisms fall under?

I agree that you should check with your university. And ecology/evolutionary studies fall under physical sciences. I'm not sure what "non-model organisms" are though. =P

I agree that you should check with your university. And ecology/evolutionary studies fall under physical sciences. I'm not sure what "non-model organisms" are though. =P

Model organisms are things like drosophila, mice/rat strains, Arabidopsis, E.coli... Non-model would be, I suppose, more specific studies or organisms not as widely used.

Edited by guttata

My proposal I'm submitting this year has nearly that structure. Good to hear!

Re: RCR. I've been on an NSF project since starting grad school and did fourteen "modules" of RCR. Essentially it is an online lesson with a quiz at the end. When you complete whatever requirements (mine was like responsibilities of engineers) you get a PDF certificate that says how you did on all the quizzes. For EAPSI it doesn't seem like a major requirement.

Hi all,

Good luck to everyone applying this year. I applied last year and was part of the NZ cohort at the University of Auckland. Later next year when we know the results of who got the fellowship I can give some practical info for those staying in Auckland (such as living, finding a place, blah blah) which some hosts frankly don't care to help with!

I also applied for Japan this year, so I'll join the waiting game with you all. Last year I also picked only one host, for me it was with him or nothing and luckily it turned up well. My project was very specific, and as Pauli pointed out, I believe that's important. I took the same approach this year. 

Cheers,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to have found this. Applied to NZ for the summer. Had some formatting issues with the project summary issue that we are currently working out through fastlane but pretty confident about everything else. 

Good luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well crap. I was hoping I had a few more weeks before I needed to start worrying about hearing back. Hopefully other countries aren't too far behind so we don't have to drag it out.

Same here. Feeling the anxiety rushing back lol. Applied to NZ so hopefully it won't be too much longer. 

I don't know, but they required a response by tomorrow morning. So, they will probably send out a second wave if some people from the first wave declined to participate.