Loma Linda University Communication Sciences and Disorders

kct

Not totally sure. Let's see what other schools accept me. I see that a few people have posted their results. I wonder where the others are.

Congratulations!!! 

Hey guys! I got an interview on April 13th for the Transitional Masters CSD! Can you guys kinda tell me what to expect? Like what kind of questions they might ask? And what to expect for the essay also?

The interview question was "what do you prefer, working in a group or by yourself?" and be prepared to give specific examples and why. 

During my interview, the professor revealed that both are very important qualities to have and are both heavily used in their program because of their "problem based learning" approach. So, if I were to interview again I would probably give some sort of qualifying statement that acknowledges the importance and value of working as both, but it does seem like they would want a specific answer, so maybe say which one you have more experience with.

The essay was something about learning through advice from family and friends vs through personal experience. It was very vague and tough to respond in only an hour. I have no idea if they'll use the same prompt. 

Either way, for the interview and the essay, I would be sure to have specific examples of relevant experiences ready to integrate into whatever they ask you - either in the essay or the interview. Also, be prepared to say why you want to be an SLP and why you want to go to Loma Linda. 

Good luck!

Hey guys! I got an interview on April 13th for the Transitional Masters CSD! Can you guys kinda tell me what to expect? Like what kind of questions they might ask? And what to expect for the essay also?

Good luck! Everything Kct said is correct. Definitely talk about both sides of the question, if they ask that - and give good examples. The more specific you are the better. 

The essay question was very vague, but not a difficult question. I did mine over Skype, so if you're going in person I am sure that will be a little bit nicer. The faculty I interviewed with were very nice and seemed pretty laid back. They also asked what specific areas of speech I was interested in, and why - as well as what made me decide to study Speech Language Pathology. 

The interview question was "what do you prefer, working in a group or by yourself?" and be prepared to give specific examples and why. 

During my interview, the professor revealed that both are very important qualities to have and are both heavily used in their program because of their "problem based learning" approach. So, if I were to interview again I would probably give some sort of qualifying statement that acknowledges the importance and value of working as both, but it does seem like they would want a specific answer, so maybe say which one you have more experience with.

The essay was something about learning through advice from family and friends vs through personal experience. It was very vague and tough to respond in only an hour. I have no idea if they'll use the same prompt. 

Either way, for the interview and the essay, I would be sure to have specific examples of relevant experiences ready to integrate into whatever they ask you - either in the essay or the interview. Also, be prepared to say why you want to be an SLP and why you want to go to Loma Linda. 

Good luck!

Thanks so much, I will definitely keep that in mind when I prepare myself for the interview :)~ Hope you will get off the wait list!

Good luck! Everything Kct said is correct. Definitely talk about both sides of the question, if they ask that - and give good examples. The more specific you are the better. 

The essay question was very vague, but not a difficult question. I did mine over Skype, so if you're going in person I am sure that will be a little bit nicer. The faculty I interviewed with were very nice and seemed pretty laid back. They also asked what specific areas of speech I was interested in, and why - as well as what made me decide to study Speech Language Pathology. 

Thank you! & I am going in person... Im coming from out of state... Texas to be specific.. pretty expensive flight but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! *fingers crossed*

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing we could hear something about the wait-list. I've been accepted somewhere else and have until the 15th to say yes, but would love to attend LLU. I am thinking of calling around April 8th and asking? Not sure if I should or not. has anyone else on the wait-list heard anything?

Wishing we could hear something about the wait-list. I've been accepted somewhere else and have until the 15th to say yes, but would love to attend LLU. I am thinking of calling around April 8th and asking? Not sure if I should or not. has anyone else on the wait-list heard anything?

Hey! I am in the same situation. I have to make a deposit to confirm my acceptance of the admission offer elsewhere by the 15th and I am currently wait listed at LLU. I know that in this situation, I am willing to lose my deposit if anything given that LLU is one of my top choices. I think most programs won't let you know about the wait list status until after the 15th. That way they have a clear headcount of open spots to fill. That's when they'll start looking through the wait list for another round of selections. I have also heard that the selection process MAY also depend on who rejects their offer. For example, if someone with a solid research background rejected the offer then they'd hope to replace that spot with another person with solid research background. 

You can always try to call but I doubt they'll be able to let you know much before the 15th.. unless you're #1 or #2 on the wait list. I do wish that they'd give out some type of general wait list ranking like Portland did (high, middle, low). Best of luck to all of us on the wait list!

Hey! I am in the same situation. I have to make a deposit to confirm my acceptance of the admission offer elsewhere by the 15th and I am currently wait listed at LLU. I know that in this situation, I am willing to lose my deposit if anything given that LLU is one of my top choices. I think most programs won't let you know about the wait list status until after the 15th. That way they have a clear headcount of open spots to fill. That's when they'll start looking through the wait list for another round of selections. I have also heard that the selection process MAY also depend on who rejects their offer. For example, if someone with a solid research background rejected the offer then they'd hope to replace that spot with another person with solid research background. 

You can always try to call but I doubt they'll be able to let you know much before the 15th.. unless you're #1 or #2 on the wait list. I do wish that they'd give out some type of general wait list ranking like Portland did (high, middle, low). Best of luck to all of us on the wait list!

Yeah, I feel the same way. LLU is a top choice for me, but it's hard when they don't give us more information about the wait-list. If I knew I was high up, then i'd consider waiting, but I guess we'll just have to see. Good luck to you, and glad you at least have an acceptance. That makes it a little bit easier :)

For me, a couple reasons. It is an Adventist University and i'm Adventist, so I would appreciate the religious aspect of it and incorporating ministry into career is important to me. I know a large number of people out at Loma Linda - and a girl in the program that loves it and speaks highly of it. Coming from NC, it'd be a long ways to move but having that support and knowing people would be helpful. They also have a lot of placement opportunities, and sometimes allow you to go elsewhere for placements, which I think is great - because I could come home for a placement if I wanted to.

I also volunteered with a SLP here in Asheville and she was a travel SLP for 10 years. She spoke very highly of LLU and said that if I got an education from there, it would be highly recognized and an excellent education, especially if I wanted to work in acute and with adults, because of the Loma Linda Medical Center. She said all the SLPs she knows that came from LLU loved it and are some of the best SLPs in the field. She's worked in a lot of big hospitals - Emory, Stanford, Wake forest, etc. so she's very smart and knowledgeable. 

California is a larger area and much different from the East Coast, and I've always wanted to live in a different setting than Asheville and Boone, NC which are similar.

Also, one of the biggest reasons is they have a swallowing/dysphagia placement with an ENT. When I met the professor in charge of that, I was very impressed and excited about that, because that's what I want to specialize in. Any program that has a big focus on dysphagia and has a specific clinic for it is important to me. Those are just a few reasons.

You were accepted right? Are you planning to attend, and if so - what are your reasons!? Congrats btw!

Good luck!

New to the boards and really want to say a big thank you to those who gave a rundown of what the essay/interview process will be like! I also have an interview on April 13, and I am extremely nervous about it. This sounds like pretty basic stuff to be asked, and from different forums, I've heard that the faculty members are welcoming, and yet I feel so anxious at the thought of sitting down with some of them. I'm so scared that I won't be up to snuff with the other applicants since most people have probably shadowed SLPs and gotten other relevant experience under their belts while I've mostly just observed therapists at the school I work for and always been too shy or awkward to pose questions. I'm less worried about the essay portion because I'm an English major and much more accustomed to expressing myself through written word. Hopefully, the essay won't throw me for a loop! :P

Can anyone remember about how long they waited after their interview before they heard whether or not they were accepted/denied/wait-listed? Again, thank you so much for the info you've already shared, guys!

I think you'll be okay on the essay, it wasn't a difficult question and if you are an English  major then I imagine you'll be just fine! I heard back about 3 weeks after my interview? They said 2 to 4 weeks, so it was right in between when I heard, but it was updated on my application online far before I got my letter in the mail.

Really, just be yourself. Talk about your experiences that you have had, and your reasons for wanting to pursue this field. If you are genuine, they will know! Have questions to ask them ready too, you want to know as much about the program as you can! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be great. 

Glad I could help future LLU applicants!

I am in the same situation as nik24 and lgwslp. I have an acceptance that I need to confirm by April 15th. I called LLU and asked if they let people know as they hear back from those that were accepted (in other words, is there a chance to hear anything before the 15th?) and Diana said it is rare that they hear anything before the 15th from those that they accepted. She said there was a chance though. I am accepting at the school I got in at, because I was offered a research position. LLU would be amazing to attend…but they don't have any research projects or training grants. :(

Glad I could help future LLU applicants!

I am in the same situation as nik24 and lgwslp. I have an acceptance that I need to confirm by April 15th. I called LLU and asked if they let people know as they hear back from those that were accepted (in other words, is there a chance to hear anything before the 15th?) and Diana said it is rare that they hear anything before the 15th from those that they accepted. She said there was a chance though. I am accepting at the school I got in at, because I was offered a research position. LLU would be amazing to attend…but they don't have any research projects or training grants. :(

Congrats on deciding where you are going to attend and getting offered a Research position. That's incredible! I was thinking of calling Diane too, I am so nervous about making a decision, and don't want to pay to another school and then have to back out. I would feel terrible. It's so stressful, and I still have three other schools to hear from. Just praying God makes it clear which one I should be at. Anyways, good luck to you. I saw someone from LLU turned down their spot this weekend, so maybe they'll let some people know sooner.

Thank you so much for the kind encouragement, lgwslp! 2-4 weeks will be an agonizing wait, but hopefully, I'll receive the answer I'm longing for. I just need to be myself and try not to ramble like I often do when I get nervous.  :wacko:

Congrats on determining where you want to study, kct! A research position offer is incredible so best of luck to you in that endeavor, and remember that everything happens for a reason, so not hearing the final word from LLU by this point may be a blessing in disguise. You must be meant to attend whichever school it is that you've now selected!

Thank you lgwslp! I know, it's really stressful to try to make a decision when you don't even have all of your options yet. I was hoping that God would make it clear too, so it was hard to find out I was wait listed because I really just wanted a yes or a no. Just remember, even if God doesn't make it completely clear, He is with you every step of the way. And He isn't going to leave your side, He will go with you to whatever school you choose! For me, that was such a simple but needed reminder. Best of luck in whatever decision you make!

And thank you learning curve! I think you're right. I'm excited for this opportunity!

Yes it is so stressful. You are right though, and thank you for that reminder. God is good, and already knows His plan for us, so whichever way I go He will be there!! Best of luck to you too and Congrats again. maybe we'll see each other sometime when we're working in the field :)

I just received a voicemail and an email from LLU and I was offered a spot! I was previously on their "alternate list" and I have already accepted an offer at Redlands. LLU was my top in-state choice. I think I'm going to forget about my deposit at Redlands and accept this offer! Don't lose hope! I think they're working on the alternate list now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about LLU:

I'm thinking of applying (if I can get my GPA up :/), but I saw that they are very faith-oriented, as they are a Seventh-Day Adventist school. Would those who do not identify with the Christian faith feel accepted at this school?

I have a question about LLU:

I'm thinking of applying (if I can get my GPA up :/), but I saw that they are very faith-oriented, as they are a Seventh-Day Adventist school. Would those who do not identify with the Christian faith feel accepted at this school?

I think they would feel accepted!!From what I hear there is a large number that are not Seventh-Day Adventist and i'm sure those that don't identify with the Christian Faith as well. That might be something to ask the faculty about? How much is the Christian faith brought into the classroom, the university, etc.. I know they have chapel sometimes, not sure if it's a requirement, but if those are things that might bother you then it's something to consider. 

I see! I was just wondering since I saw on LLU's website that one of their goals of the SLP program is to:

"2.  Understand the importance of integrating LLU's Christ-centered values into personal and professional life."

As someone who is not part of the Christian faith, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with that. LLU looks totally awesome in all other respects though!

I see! I was just wondering since I saw on LLU's website that one of their goals of the SLP program is to:

"2.  Understand the importance of integrating LLU's Christ-centered values into personal and professional life."

As someone who is not part of the Christian faith, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with that. LLU looks totally awesome in all other respects though!

Yeah, that makes sense. Well I will be there starting in the fall and i'll be glad to update you on how the classroom life is, etc. and the teaching style in regards to Christianity!