UCLA Mechanical Engineering PhD 2014

finallyagradstudent

I was there yesterday and can honestly say I had a great time. It seems funding is a big issue though and that if you haven't been awarded a fellowship within 2 weeks funding will be hard to come by unless you are already in talks with a professor who may offer you a RA/TA.

I was there yesterday and can honestly say I had a great time. It seems funding is a big issue though and that if you haven't been awarded a fellowship within 2 weeks funding will be hard to come by unless you are already in talks with a professor who may offer you a RA/TA.

What do you mean by "awarded fellowship within 2 weeks" ?? 

has the 2 weeks already passed? 

I was told that I was nominated for fellowship through email but I haven't received the official letter so I'm little worried now. 

Did anyone get fellowship? If so, how much? 

What do you mean by "awarded fellowship within 2 weeks" ?? 

has the 2 weeks already passed? 

I was told that I was nominated for fellowship through email but I haven't received the official letter so I'm little worried now. 

Did anyone get fellowship? If so, how much? 

I mean by that, that if you haven't heard within 2 weeks (and theres about a week and a half left on this timeline) that it may be difficult to secure funding unless you have an RA/TA from a professor. If you were nominated then you probably should hear back within this timeline. I haven't heard about the fellowship at this point.

I got the funding offer. Besides tuition and fees, total salary of about $13.5K for Fall,Winter,and Spring. 

Anyone else got higher? 

I don't quite understand UCLA's quarter system. Do I have to last from September to April/May with 13.5k? 

Financially, it will be tough considering LA is an expensive place to live. 

I got the funding offer. Besides tuition and fees, total salary of about $13.5K for Fall,Winter,and Spring. 

Anyone else got higher? 

I don't quite understand UCLA's quarter system. Do I have to last from September to April/May with 13.5k? 

Financially, it will be tough considering LA is an expensive place to live. 

No word yet on my end. Did you get the funding through a fellowship TA or RA position? Have you been in contact with any faculty?

13.5K is definitely not enough to live in LA, much less UCLA area. 

Edited by finallyagradstudent

I was contacted by a faculty. 

It was through RA position but it was the same amount as the department fellowship.

I was nominated for department fellowship but I didn't get it (high competition I guess)

so I was offered RA instead. I'm interested in TA since 13.5K would be pretty tight.

is it possible to survive Sept-early June with $13.5K(before tax)?

I was contacted by a faculty. 

It was through RA position but it was the same amount as the department fellowship.

I was nominated for department fellowship but I didn't get it (high competition I guess)

so I was offered RA instead. I'm interested in TA since 13.5K would be pretty tight.

is it possible to survive Sept-early June with $13.5K(before tax)?

I really don't think that it is. You will need some sort of supplemental income. 

Hey,

Has anyone received the official letter from the Graduate Division yet? I received the deparmental admission letter in the beginning of this month. It says I should have the official letter soon, but after 2+ weeks I still have nothing. Does anybody receive that? If so, how long does it take for your case?

Hey,

Has anyone received the official letter from the Graduate Division yet? I received the deparmental admission letter in the beginning of this month. It says I should have the official letter soon, but after 2+ weeks I still have nothing. Does anybody receive that? If so, how long does it take for your case?

Have you tried this link?

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/Login.aspx

Took me about 2-3 weeks to receive the official letter after the departmental one. Hang in there.

Hello, does the official letter mention anything about funding, or TA/RA position you got?

I only received departmental admission one week ago, and I haven't heard anything back yet, nor have I got in touch with a professor for a TA/RA position. I was wondering if I ended up with only admission but no funding, that will be really tough.

Hello, does the official letter mention anything about funding, or TA/RA position you got?

I only received departmental admission one week ago, and I haven't heard anything back yet, nor have I got in touch with a professor for a TA/RA position. I was wondering if I ended up with only admission but no funding, that will be really tough.

this is what someone has said about the topic.

I have not heard about any fellowships or funding. I have been in contact with a Prof. also but i have not heard anything. I doubt that any notice will come. 

21k for 9 months. That's the fellowship although I know there are also departmental fellowships and I've heard 15k for 9 months. It seems to me funding is a bit of an issue here.