GPA conundrum

larat333

I graduated 6 years ago with a low GPA of 3.2 (BEng from UK).

Have recently scored a 100% in GRE math and 96% in verbal.

I have 5 years work ex , with a few impressive research assignments under my belt.

I want to apply for PhD from a good (top 15) universities. My question is - is it really worth spending on application given my low GPA? thanks a lot.

Uh, a 3.2 GPA is not low.  Why people still believe this junk is beyond me.  Also, I have yet to hear of a "competitive" STEM program that had a cut-off GPA higher than 3.0, if they even had a cut-off.  It seems to me that the most competitive programs in STEM do not have a minimum GPA standard (but you can believe that the majority of applicants have GPAs a the higher end of 3.X).  Competitive programs in STEM tend to take on the holistic approach to applications.  I mean, even MIT admits to occasionally admitting grad students with 2.X GPAs or sub-50 percentile GRE scores.  When it comes to STEM, research experience almost always trumps GPA, and, SOP trumps all. 

But seriously, you got a perfect score in quant I wouldn't worry about it. 

Your five years of "real-world" work experience plus those "impressive" research assignments are enough to outweigh your GPA...which is not that bad. 

So yes, apply away!  

Forgot to mention....

...grad programs in the U.S. do all sorts of things to your undergraduate GPA.  Some take it as-is.  Some remove all unnecessary courses and recalculate. Some only consider the last 60 credits/units.  And so on.  

Work experience definitely can make up for a low GPA.  

This is so true and I am 100% sure this contributed LARGELY to my recent success this round of applications.  Your GRE scores sound great, and the research experience matters a great deal.  As other have said, a 3.2 GPA is not stellar but it certainly isn't poor.  I think you should give it your best shot.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I would also add that a 3.2 in a STEM is more impressive than a 3.2 in a non-STEM. At my university, for example, I believe the top GPA in the engineering department had a 3.81, while over a hundred people from the education department had a 4.0. 

I've seen a couple of top STEM programs claiming on their websites that they have a 3.5 cut-off, but one of them said in a email that they would review applications with 3.0 and above GPAs as well.

Having research experience and excellent GRE scores will certainly help you a lot. Each school will weigh everything differently, so you might not get in everywhere you apply. But, if you do your homework and apply to programs that are good fits, you should have a good chance of getting a couple of admissions. The SoP is very important and you can address your GPA in it, try and make it work in your favor.

I know ucla math has a 3.5 upper div math gpa cutoff, so such programs do exist. I'd suggest contacting DGS's or <your program> departments about how strict that cutoff is. I'd imagine some would throw your application out immediately if they don't meet the cutoff, while others would realize there's a lot more to your application and you're definitely worth considering.