Chemistry or Physics Class into Effect Fall 2014 or 2015?

Hi everyone. I know there has been talk about a chemistry or physics class being required by ASHA and how astronomy and geology do not count anymore. I have heard that this rule is going into effect January 2015 and may not be a requirement for Fall 2014 applicants.

Does anyone know what the case is? Will this go into effect for Fall 2014 applicants, Fall 2015 applicants, or both?

Any information is helpful because I am trying to find a summer course to take online, and it may not be necessary. Thank you! 

Multiple programs (but not all) said they would accept my astronomy class. I say you should email the program you're planning on attending and see what they say :)

I wish they would accept my astronomy or geology class, lol. But nope, all of mine told me, "Physics or chemistry only, kthxbai." I feel like people who graduated before a certain point should be grandfathered into the old requirements.

As for now, it is for everyone entering Fall 2014. More information here under Standar IV-A

http://www.asha.org/Certification/2014-Speech-Language-Pathology-Certification-Standards/

However, it is up to the specific program whether they think geology, astronomy or biochemistry can count as chemistry or physics.  I wish they had standardized this more, it'll save people lots of questions and money.

Edited by Patont

I have a friend in one of my classes who should be graduating in a year. We were just discussing this because I was told I'm fine with transferring in a geology class and I took a general biology class when I was a sophomore (will graduate this May), yet my friend was told that she would have to take a chem or physics class even though she already has a geology or biology class that should have filled the requirement.

Does it mean that the 9/1/14 affects only people just starting this degree plan and those who haven't signed and locked in their degree plan or can it affect anyone that hasn't already received their bachelors yet? I'm trying to clearly understand who exactly that part will affect. I wouldn't think someone like myself should have to worry about it since I'm already "signed and sealed" to graduate in a couple weeks, but I mostly am trying to get a clearer answer for a friend. This same thing happened last year when I had already taken a math stats class and ended up having to take psyc stats to fill that new requirement... total BS in my opinion! Lol

That's great Sayjo!!! where are you attending can I ask? 

SIUE. :)  It's my understanding that they will no longer accept geology soon, but I was told that I would be ok.