Sub 3.0, will this plan work.

Thegreatdreamer01

I haven't applied to grad school YET. I plan to apply for the fall of 2016.  After much research and deliberation I have concluded only one thing, I must make the next 18 months of my life count in every possible way academically, to make up for the years of undergrad that I consider to be a massive waste of time and money.  The results from my undergraduate years were a less than stellar GPA, with no accolades or awards, just a degree that in four years have only collected dust, and interest on student debt.

Following a plan found on the UC Berkely website for getting into graudate school with a sub 3.0 GPA this is my plan, and I am wondering if it will work.

That said the program I seeking to enter does not have a minimum GPA or GRE score. They have not made public any of this information, even after I inquired about it, but none the less.  The program I seek requires exposure to C++ programming and at least 1 semester of calculus, and since the program is a molecular biology/Genetics program, I plan to take at least two senior level molecular biology/chemistry courses.

1. Raise my GPA .4 points.  While I will not be at 3.0 at that point, I will certainly be closer than I am now.  I plan to do this by doing what I started out in college doing, eating, living and breathing the classes I take.   I plan to do this with the required pre reqs. I would like to get a programming certificate for C++ and getting a lab technician certification that would give me the wet lab skills I need for graduate school. I would by all means make an A. in the above mentioned Molecular biology/chemistry courses. 

2. Take at least 2 courses in the program before matriculating.  The university allows people to take the introductory courses and later transfer them to the program if accepted.

3.  Blow the GRE out of the water.  I am hoping to land in the 75th-80th percentile, which is where most life science majors seem to fall.  This is mostly going to be my proof I have the aptitude to complete the work. 

4.  Letters of Recommendation.  In the spring of 2015 I plan to volunteer in a lab with a professor who loves plant biology and genetics.  I realize the volunteer work is purely self serving in nature but, I need it.  The program requires 3, the other two I haven't decided (other than Acing a bunch of classes) how I might earn a letter or recommendation for the program.

5. Personal Statement and Purpose.  This will be thought out and well rounded. I do plan on using this as an opportunity to discuss the low GPA and what obastcles I have removed and how things are different.  I do plan to put a lot of emphasis and focus on the things I did leading up to my decision to send my application and how it reflects my growth and potential.

6. This is a HUGE maybe, but I have considered doing a small Independent study project, when I mean small something that will take me less than 9 months to complete and present. 

If I complete this plan I think I might have a real shot at acceptance, but it hinges on me successfully reaching each goal by Jan 15 2016. 

Edited by Thegreatdreamer01

Can you post the list of courses that you will take your 1st year of the program or message me the link to the program website? I think that I can offer some advice since I am currently an MS bioinformatics student. My adivce is going to depened on whether the program seems more bioinformatics related or biology related though.

Also, are you applying for MS or PhD?

Edited by bsharpe269

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I can't contribute any real evaluation to your plan but I really like it. I'm sort of the in the same situation with your type of academic profile. I'll be graduating in a year or so ie ~spring 2015, so I don't really have much time to raise my gpa or get in long term or substantial research time. I have a rough plan that is somewhat similar to yours but for me its pretty much: for a year, hold down a job while taking some undergrad classes to raise my gpa in order to get into any master's program. Not sure if debt is an issue for you, but it is for me it is and I'd guess I'd like to reduce it.

Really from just what I've seen, research amount is important. I know a guy who got into a really great doctorate program and he participated in research for four years during his undergrad. Hence its that guy's profile that's giving me interest to just try to get into any grad school master's program. It's just so I can lengthen or really just establish the amount of research years under my name.

And also I guess letters of recs can't really come into existence over short periods of time, so I'm really hoping for those who I'm involved with in master's program to take some time to get to know me over a projected two years to write me a nice rec.  

Really, I just feel a master's program, any master's program is really the environment needed to get into a desired program for people like me and I guess you (but of course I can't speak for you because I don't know you xP).

Anyway, two years for your plan seems realistic but tough (again take with a grain of salt as this comment is coming from a guy who has not tried such a route himself). 

tl;dr

I'm in a similar position as you.

I think your plan will be tough but might work.

Maybe needs more time spent in with a lab. 

If it helps:

my plan = 

after graduation

Year 1: Job + undergrad gpa boosting

Year 2: Any Master's (thinking of this program as extended undergrad), research lab

Year 3: Master's, research lab

Year 4: Doctorate program first year

I wish you the best and its nice to know being alone in this situation is not the only choice.

Edited by Lauter

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't applied to grad school YET. I plan to apply for the fall of 2016.  After much research and deliberation I have concluded only one thing, I must make the next 18 months of my life count in every possible way academically, to make up for the years of undergrad that I consider to be a massive waste of time and money.  The results from my undergraduate years were a less than stellar GPA, with no accolades or awards, just a degree that in four years have only collected dust, and interest on student debt.

Following a plan found on the UC Berkely website for getting into graudate school with a sub 3.0 GPA this is my plan, and I am wondering if it will work.

That said the program I seeking to enter does not have a minimum GPA or GRE score. They have not made public any of this information, even after I inquired about it, but none the less.  The program I seek requires exposure to C++ programming and at least 1 semester of calculus, and since the program is a molecular biology/Genetics program, I plan to take at least two senior level molecular biology/chemistry courses.

1. Raise my GPA .4 points.  While I will not be at 3.0 at that point, I will certainly be closer than I am now.  I plan to do this by doing what I started out in college doing, eating, living and breathing the classes I take.   I plan to do this with the required pre reqs. I would like to get a programming certificate for C++ and getting a lab technician certification that would give me the wet lab skills I need for graduate school. I would by all means make an A. in the above mentioned Molecular biology/chemistry courses. 

2. Take at least 2 courses in the program before matriculating.  The university allows people to take the introductory courses and later transfer them to the program if accepted.

3.  Blow the GRE out of the water.  I am hoping to land in the 75th-80th percentile, which is where most life science majors seem to fall.  This is mostly going to be my proof I have the aptitude to complete the work. 

4.  Letters of Recommendation.  In the spring of 2015 I plan to volunteer in a lab with a professor who loves plant biology and genetics.  I realize the volunteer work is purely self serving in nature but, I need it.  The program requires 3, the other two I haven't decided (other than Acing a bunch of classes) how I might earn a letter or recommendation for the program.

5. Personal Statement and Purpose.  This will be thought out and well rounded. I do plan on using this as an opportunity to discuss the low GPA and what obastcles I have removed and how things are different.  I do plan to put a lot of emphasis and focus on the things I did leading up to my decision to send my application and how it reflects my growth and potential.

6. This is a HUGE maybe, but I have considered doing a small Independent study project, when I mean small something that will take me less than 9 months to complete and present. 

If I complete this plan I think I might have a real shot at acceptance, but it hinges on me successfully reaching each goal by Jan 15 2016. 

While my situation is different I can honestly say that I have been there.  Here is my advice based on "having been there", the advice I got prior to applying and the advice I got after being rejected:

1:  The absolute best way to boost your GPA in terms of graduate school is to retake courses, if even at a community college.  The more credits you add to the pile the slower the GPA will rise even if all new grades are As. Getting a cert in C++ would definitely be a good thing considering your intended course of study.  As for the lab tech cert...not sure if this would make much of a difference.  Sure it's another feather in your hat and could make a Master's application but for a Ph.D. I don't think it would matter much (in my limited opinion) considering Ph.D. is about being the researcher not the gopher (well, perhaps not at first).  In lieu of the lab tech cert I would suggest getting [more] research experience by volunteering at the least if you can. 

2:  Probably the best advice here, but...graduate level courses are expensive and even if you are taking this courses at a public with resident tuition expect to pay out-of-pocket a few grand per course in the least.  And if you don't earn at least a B then....well...

3:  For what it is worth I don't think anyone plans on failing the GRE and most hope or "know that I will" score high.  Yes, if you have low grades in math, chem, and/or other analytical courses than scoring high on GRE quant could be enough proof to some programs, but not all. 

4:  Volunteering in the lab is a good plan not only for the LOR but also for the experience that can be included in the SOP.  Other than that the best way to get LORs is to simply shoot-the-breeze with a few profs on a regular basis if you can.  Hang out after class, pop in during office hours, and so on.  Don't be a creep, though.

5:  Once again, everyone says this and I am fairly sure too many believe it, too.  Begin writing your SOP at least 1/2 year in advance. I guarantee that no matter how polished you think it is, no matter how much you think it is the best it could possibly be, two seconds after you hit submit you will think oh, shit...I just thought of...

6:  Great idea but keep in mind that if it is not under the direction of a "qualified scientist" it might get viewed as a weekend DIY project considering "an authority" did not critique and approve your proposal.

"Will this plan work?" 

Most people don't get into graduate school; There are more rejections than acceptances. People with 4.0 GPAs and stellar test scores get rejected. 

The better question is, "Could this work?"