Stanford MS&E application

Sanchez

Hi guys,

I am planing to apply for MS&E department of Stanford, but I am not sure whether my credentials are sufficient for to be admitted. Here are some background information about myself:

Background: Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering (From Top 100 International University), GPA 3.65/4.00 (1st Rank Student)

TOEFL: 107/120

GRE: 155/165/3.5 (Planing to retake)

I am right now working in an international major operating oil company as completions engineer. What do you think about my chances  of being accepted? 

I see it is very competitive, and most of the admitted students has higher results than me. But is competition the same for all of the students, or is it easier for some international students form certain countries, especially if very few people applying (or even had ever applied before) from that country to MS&E department?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Hello, I am a current part-time student in the MS&E program. I would say your GPA isn't a problem, since I got in with a lower GPA than yours. I would think that things like GPA and GRE scores are negative filters, and GPA above 3.5 should be good enough that your application is automatically filtered off without being reviewed by the ad com. Definitely retake your GRE though. If your GPA is below their average, I guess a GRE above their average will look better on your application.

It's not a MBA, so I think diversity of the class is not a key criteria, though I do see a significant portion of the class being international students. Work experience is also a plus, since quite a good % of the class has some working experience despite it not being a MBA. If you manage to get your GRE scores to a nice level, you will need to focus to draft a great SOP and secure good letter of recommendations to stand a good chance of being accepted.

Good luck!