New here!

DDsoc

Hello all! I'm new to this forum but I've been following it around for a bit now! You know, reading up on information about applying to Soc programs and getting advice for the GRE and whatnot. Very excited to finally be a member as we dive into application season!

So, I took the GRE yesterday. Went pretty well! I got 165V/158Q. I actually was expecting to score much lower in verbal, and much higher in quant, but I'm overall satisfied. From what I've gathered, those scores are good enough for top10/20 Soc PhD programs. I know my math score is like maybe borderline too low? I really don't want to pay for the test again, nor sit through it again. Painful!

If anyone could let me know if they think I'm good for top soc programs, that would be great! I'm looking at Indiana U, U of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State mostly. 

You should be good for top 20 programs, might be a little low for top 10 but if the rest of your app is strong I wouldn't worry about it. It's above 70th percentile so that should be enough to pass any automatic cut offs. Also that verbal score is really impressive and will help you overall. 

Congrats on a great score. 

Yup good scores. They definitely won't disqualify you from any program. The quant score is perhaps on the left side of the distribution for top 10 programs, but not so much so that you can't compensate with other strong areas in your application. That said, no GRE score alone is good enough to get a spot in a top 20 program. Expect that most everyone will have scores like yours. Those scores will qualify you for a second read by the ad-comm. 

Solid scores!  A big, big congratulations to you!!  Where are you planning on applying?  What are your interests within sociology?  

Thanks! I plan on applying to Ohio State [top choice], U of Michigan, Indiana University and Penn State. Those are my top 4, anyway. I want to stay close to the Cleveland area and that seems to be the best bet in terms of top 20s. My interests are somewhere between gender and family. I like work, education, and media representations too. Not sure! It's hard to narrow down interests.