Phd - Field Schools

AKCarlton

I know I'm only just begining my masters program this Fall, however, I'm already looking toward the future and wanting to get an idea of the expectations for PhD programs so I can adequately make the most of my time these next two years...

For those who have completed their masters and were accepted or are currently undergoing their PhD programs...what is their expectation as far as field schools? Do they expect us to have completed more than one?

What do they look for in their ideal candidates?

Thank you,

Prospective PhD applicant in two years time...

Hi AK - I think a lot of schools are looking for some sort of fieldwork experience (because it shows you've developed those skills and it speaks to your interests) and field schools are a great way to gain that experience. There are also others ways to build your fieldwork experience, like doing CRM work, volunteering, and as an educator. I never had an official field school, but did fieldwork through a lab I worked in as an undergrad and by working as an educator on an excavation that hosted groups of high school students.

You mentioned doing more than one field school - don't feel like the only experience that 'counts' on an application or that you're ready for as a student is a field school. Especially if you have already done one field school, if you find another great opportunity, apply for it! That's how you'll build your resume and gain new skills.

• 2 weeks later...

One field school is sufficient, unless the second is somehow going to teach you a highly specialized skill (i/e a field "workshop" in mapping). Otherwise two field schools will be redundant, as they mainly all teach the same archaeology basics regardless of where in the world you go. After you've done a field school, you should be able to join most projects as a crew member, which is a great (and usually free) way to gain more field experience.

In general, PhD programs like to see a mix of field experience and intellectual maturity (the two are not necessarily synonymous). Having a masters already when you apply helps to show that you're already a grown up and have a more focused idea of what you'd like to do, which is good. Field experience is also good, but I've known people with multiple calendar years of field experience who didn't get into their top choice schools largely because they focused on fieldwork to the exclusion of other, equally important things. Make sure you read a lot--both within your area of focus and in anthropology generally--as this will help you craft a statement of purpose that can speak to people in the department beyond your POI. 

Ok this brings me such comfort because i'm going into my masters program with no field school, but my program requires at least one field school in the summer...which of course, I'll be doing...but I was curious as to how many they expect you to have completed once you are applying to PhD programs.

Thank you so much for your repsonses...both have been sufficient in helping me tremendously and I truly appreciate it.