NSF Funding

smg

I was told to apply for NSF funding today by one of my POI.  Anyone else thinking about applying?  Has anyone applied before?  Any tips, suggestions, etc., would be dope. 

This won't be program specific information, but this is where you'll find the most people asking and answering questions. 

There is a lot of work that goes into applying for a NSF grant.  You'll also find a lot of information just by googling. 

Edited by geographyrocks

I found the following website, with copious examples of successful essays from many disciplines, useful in putting together my own (successful) application:

http://rachelcsmith.com/academics/nsf.htm

The best tips I can give are to write in your own voice (my professors thought I sounded too casual, my reviewers all complimented my writing), and to address yourself specifically to the "intellectual merit" and "broader impacts" criteria in each essay. Show them that you're intellectually serious, and that you have some perspective on why the work you do matters. 

Not everything has to be academic, either. The reviewers know that these applications are often from people just entering graduate school. I commented at length about my experience working for a coffee importer/roaster and how it connected to my academic background in anthropology.

Good luck!

I've got another NSF and (Cultural) Anthro question or problem even...I don't think of my self as a (social) scientist or my research as (social) science. My research interests, influences and aspirations are definitely more akin to the humanities and critique than the sciences.   I feel like this is going to present a problem.  Has anyone else wrestled with this?  Is this just a matter of spin?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was going to, but the fact that I have an old master's degree and recent teacher certification credits at a community college disqualifies me.  :(

When I thought I could apply, I was definitely wrestling with the whole 'science' thing.  But I figured that they include cultural anthropology on the field list, so I was just going to have to go with it, and focus on how my research could be of benefit to society.  

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I received the NSF GRFP and the NSF DDIG.  The key for both of these is to mention tangible BROADER IMPACTS boldly (like, literally bold the text) and frequently.  The intellectual merit is also important, but BROADER IMPACTS (like public presentations, interdisciplinary collaboration, booklets) are the types of things they are looking for.