Does the SOP/Personal Statement have to be single spaced?

Some programs specify, and some don't. For my own part, I know that Vanderbilt, Cornell, and Washington University (WUSTL) prefer them single-spaced. 

I'm sticking to strict MLA format unless otherwise instructed. I suspect that either way isn't a big deal so long as the content is interesting.

A lot of the programs that asked for page lengths specify that they want double spacing. The programs that ask for word counts don't specify. Of course, this is generally speaking, so be sure to double check each program's website and/or email to ask for clarification.

Of course you will want to follow guidelines that you find. But for those schools that do not specify, select forms that you feel best represent what you are trying to achieve in your documents. You're trying to come across as a full-fledged academic, so maybe formatting your letters like a student paper (e.g. double-spaced, header in the top left) isn't the best representation for you here.

For my five cents worth, I learned throughout the applications process that Baskerville has been shown to have a positive correlation to a writer's perceived credibility. Sans-serif fonts are disabilities friendly. And Helvetica makes you look like a hipster.

I guess what I'm trying to say is design can be your friend. And deserves some intentional rhetorical moves in your SOP/PS.

I hadn't heard this! Could you expand? Is it a matter of screen readers or something else? 

From what I understand, serifs can complicate the understanding of words for someone who is hard of sight. To be honest, certain fonts and typefaces can be quite difficult to understand even for someone with 20/20 vision. But, in general, the most accessible typefaces are those without flourishes--like Arial, which is the one I wrote my MA thesis in! Surprisingly enough, Times New Roman is a serif typeface--so, a less accessible option.

Here's some more info on design and accessibility from an organization in the UK: http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/quality/documents/StandardofAccessibility.pdf

(Random note: my wife and I were in DC this past weekend, and I was thinking of you! Hope you and your family are doing well!! Can't wait to see you in Tampa in March.)

Edited by Chadillac

Just to complicate matters: if they're going to read it on a computer, Chadillac is correct; sans-serif fonts are easier to read. If they're going to print it out, serifs are easier to read. This has to do with the DPI of the screen, as even my fancy Macbook has insufficient resolution to make the serifs help you. (The link posted also showed that.) http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/03/serif-vs-sans-the-final-battle/ As with any other design choice, though, it's going to come down to specific font vs font comparisons for your application.

From what I understand, serifs can complicate the understanding of words for someone who is hard of sight. To be honest, certain fonts and typefaces can be quite difficult to understand even for someone with 20/20 vision. But, in general, the most accessible typefaces are those without flourishes--like Arial, which is the one I wrote my MA thesis in! Surprisingly enough, Times New Roman is a serif typeface--so, a less accessible option.

Here's some more info on design and accessibility from an organization in the UK: http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/quality/documents/StandardofAccessibility.pdf

(Random note: my wife and I were in DC this past weekend, and I was thinking of you! Hope you and your family are doing well!! Can't wait to see you in Tampa in March.)

Just to complicate matters: if they're going to read it on a computer, Chadillac is correct; sans-serif fonts are easier to read. If they're going to print it out, serifs are easier to read. This has to do with the DPI of the screen, as even my fancy Macbook has insufficient resolution to make the serifs help you. (The link posted also showed that.) http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/03/serif-vs-sans-the-final-battle/ As with any other design choice, though, it's going to come down to specific font vs font comparisons for your application.

You are both BLOWING MY MIND RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the info! I'll have to readjust how I approach fonts in my day-to-day writing. 

Chadillac, I hope you enjoyed DC. The weather was nice and cool this past weekend! Your photos from the trip are great, and you looked like you were having a great time. Can't wait to finally meet offline in Tampa! 

I don't think you should think too hard about font choice. A good takeaway from this would be to possibly have all drafts in sans-serif regardless on the computer and serif anytime you print it out, because both options will help you read the text and spot mistakes.

Thanks to this thread, I have decided to reformat my materials to Arial font. I'm not going to worry about trying to change it for the applications I have already submitted, but after having done a compare/contrast for my most recent application, I definitely noticed that Arial is more readable on the "application preview" than Times New Roman, which has always (literally...since the mid-'90s) been my go-to font. I never particularly liked Arial, but I have to admit, albeit grudgingly, that it's a lot easier on the eyes.

I still don't think that font choice is enough of a factor to block any legitimate applicant's chances at acceptance, but if there's a .001% chance, you might as well err on the side of easy readability. A nice little bonus (or possibly a detriment) of Arial over Times New Roman is that in 12 point, it can add at least a page to your WS. My WS was sitting at 15 pages, plus an appendix and two pages of works cited. It's now at a comfortable 20 pages for all materials, which is especially nice for applying to Princeton with their "25 page" recommendation...

I just walked in on this thread by mistake... and now the hour I was supposed to spend essay writing has been spent fiddling with fonts on my SOP. Oops. (I think I'm going with Baskerville, for what it's worth.)