Canadian universities friendly to continental philosophy

Neither Here Nor There

I am trying to compile a list of Canadian graduate schools friendly to continental philosophy, whether that be MA programs or Phd program. What universities do you recommend?

Have you checked out SPEP's list? I can't confirm/deny that it's comprehensive, but here is a list of continental-friendly graduate departments--both US and Canada.

http://www.spep.org/resources/graduate-programs/

FWIW, I've heard good things about Guelph, Western, and Trent.

The main ones would probably be McGill (PhD only), Alberta, Concordia (MA), Toronto, Guelph, and Memorial.

Sorry, I forgot a couple really important ones: Université de Montréal (note that the language of instruction is French) and Ottawa (which is bilingual).

Thanks. Some of these I've had recommended, but some I had simply overlooked. I now see that there are a couple faculty working within the continental tradition (and feminist philosophy) at Alberta. Good to know.

Frankly, I think it's been consistently under-ranked. It's quite a strong department overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

People considering applying to Toronto should contact current students to see how well continental is being received these days over there. Since Franks and Schlosser left, I hear there's been a sea change.

Good to know. I am going to go ahead and apply there, but for the MA program only. I don't think coming from a small university, I would be directly admitted to their PhD, but if I got a good funding MA offer, I could apply another year for PhDs at more continental schools like McGill.