HKS 2015

whtctc007

Wondering if anyone else applied for a FLAS? I guess that would come out at the same time as other finaid decisions? 

Also, potentially dumb question - anyone know much is the Belfer IGA fellowship worth? Not that my odds are great but would be nice to know anyway

For those that were not admitted, there's an excellent blog post up today by Matt Clemons:

Admission Decision Feedback

http://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/113424470968/admission-decision-feedback

I wish they did offer feedback. I was personally invested in the HKS application. I can't really figure out what happened - this post doesn't help me much - the points they have here were all covered in my application. 

Has anyone applied for fellowships with the Center for Public Leadership?

The website says that finalists will be invited on March 14, 2015 to interview next week (at least for the fellowships I'm looking at), but that seems like a tight turnaround (even to schedule a telephone interview). Does that mean finalists are informed earlier than this Saturday and only receive interview information over the weekend, or that finalists aren't notified in any way until the 14? I know there hasn't been much time for the selections committee(s) to review materials, so I recognize the time constraints on all ends.

Does anyone have any experience? Many thanks!

I have applied and haven't heard back either. My sense is that they will be informing the finalists on the 14th and then proceed to interview them next week. They might choose only a handful of people so one week would be enough in that case. It's unlikely that finalists were informed before the 12th as everyone seems to have received the application decision on the same day. 

I have applied and haven't heard back either. My sense is that they will be informing the finalists on the 14th and then proceed to interview them next week. They might choose only a handful of people so one week would be enough in that case. It's unlikely that finalists were informed before the 12th as everyone seems to have received the application decision on the same day. 

Thanks! That makes sense. The website mentioned coming to Cambridge for the interviews for US applicants, which is why the time frame seemed condensed. But maybe that's just an option if you're local. This falls into the category of things I should have emailed to inquire about a month ago but didn't because emailing people about logistical details can be intimidating, but is something I need to get over. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know how many people are typically put on the wait list? I know from last year that accepted people from the wait list as late as May from the results search. I do hope to attend off the wait list, but I understand the odds don't appear to be too high.

Congrats to the admitted! 

I had spent countless hours re-reading the HKS blog and it did help me a lot while writing my essays(atleast the other schools liked it :-)).Also, David Kings posts clarified a lot of things for me with respect to admission process (as some one mentioned can we pin his posts for future candidates ????). 

I wish they did offer feedback. I was personally invested in the HKS application. I can't really figure out what happened - this post doesn't help me much - the points they have here were all covered in my application. 

PolicyGrad92, I feel you. HKS was a dream and I had spent countless hours on the application. But, I did learn a lot during the process. 

I was for a second thinking of re-applying but then given my age and what I want to do, I have decided to not let HKS be my "Goal". I have decided to move on and reach my long term goals by making the best out of schools that want me :-). 

This rejection from HKS has only given me that much needed push and brought me back to the reality of what i really want to do. 

Congrats to the admitted! 

I had spent countless hours re-reading the HKS blog and it did help me a lot while writing my essays(atleast the other schools liked it :-)).Also, David Kings posts clarified a lot of things for me with respect to admission process (as some one mentioned can we pin his posts for future candidates ????). 

PolicyGrad92, I feel you. HKS was a dream and I had spent countless hours on the application. But, I did learn a lot during the process. 

I was for a second thinking of re-applying but then given my age and what I want to do, I have decided to not let HKS be my "Goal". I have decided to move on and reach my long term goals by making the best out of schools that want me :-). 

This rejection from HKS has only given me that much needed push and brought me back to the reality of what i really want to do. 

Policygrad92, same experience here. The one thing I could work on is my GMAT score. I was even hesitant to apply because of that, but then I thought "if I am rejected because of my low GMAT score, this means that they did not like me anyway" so I applied.

Like you, I have done everything, campus visit, course selection, I have been reading the blog for two years prior to applying, I have even put my life between brackets to concentrate on that. Worst thing is: that's the only policy school I've applied to.

Maybe we could start all over again next year? but is it even worth it? Yes it's HKS so it's worth it, but is it worth the killing effort? I feel like I have no more energy. Thumbs up for the adcom though, they handled everything very professionally.

Onthe path: how old are you? I'm 31. Congrats on SIPA acceptance!

Policygrad92, same experience here. The one thing I could work on is my GMAT score. I was even hesitant to apply because of that, but then I thought "if I am rejected because of my low GMAT score, this means that they did not like me anyway" so I applied.

Like you, I have done everything, campus visit, course selection, I have been reading the blog for two years prior to applying, I have even put my life between brackets to concentrate on that. Worst thing is: that's the only policy school I've applied to.

Maybe we could start all over again next year? but is it even worth it? Yes it's HKS so it's worth it, but is it worth the killing effort? I feel like I have no more energy. Thumbs up for the adcom though, they handled everything very professionally.

Onthe path: how old are you? I'm 31. Congrats on SIPA acceptance!

Thandiwine, I am 32 and in my part of the world that is little too old to start a grad program. I have put a few life events on hold to complete this grad program so a little disappointed at not being admitted to HKS :-)

Hi guys, I'm glad that I am not the only one feeling this way.. I am in a reflective mood these days, as I expect many of us are.. so I hope I don't bore you with this post.

HKS was the dream - I spent two years planning my application, and I was proud of my essays and my recommendations were truly humbling. I completely agree - the process itself was an education - I probably understood myself much more over the past few months. 

I guess I became overconfident. I was admitted early to Fletcher and SIPA and I felt optimistic - well, now it seems I was dreaming. :) I was very clear as to what I was looking for from my graduate study - and while all 4 of the schools I chose to apply to (WWS being the 4th ) were an amazing fit for me - particular HKS courses and professors attracted me more- making it the dream. I only applied to 4 universities - because they fit my profile the most..

To be truly honest, I am not really upset about HKS - probably because I have these admissions in hand - I'm looking for closure. I thought my application was solid - why was it not? I just want to know for my peace of mind...

I am 22, I am from a developing country in Asia, and I graduated college in 2013, and have been working in research assessment projects across my country with national and international government organizations. I was being ambitious with my applications this year, and I am secretly extremely proud of the acceptances. :) I think the 4 universities that i chose to apply to will all take me to the same place - what I want to do, what skills I want to build on, and how to define my niche to make a difference to society. I don't think HKS, WWS, SIPA and Fletcher can be compared beyond a point - actually, extending this beyond myself - all of us chose universities to apply to for a reason -they are all exceptional, they fit our profiles. I think all of us should be thrilled about the "Yes"es, understand the "No"s and be happy!

Sorry for the slightly abstract paragraph above. Provided I get funding to go - I cannot afford it with the partial scholarships from SIPA and Fletcher- I am definitely going to be learning a lot at an exceptional university. I'm excited. 

And no, I'm not saying this just for the sake of saying it. I've been thinking a lot about all of this. Am I disappointed about HKS? Of course I am. When you put your heart into something, it's an emotional battle when you don't succeed. But does that make me less happy about my acceptances and my future prospects? Of course not! 

I don't know if this post helps anyone, I just wanted to get this out of my system..

Congrats to everyone who got admitted!

Any thoughts on Housing? Was not sure if I should start a new thread or add on here. 

GSAS Residence hall looks like the most affordable option, compared to the other Harvard Housing rentals. Any advice?

Congrats to everyone who got admitted!

Any thoughts on Housing? Was not sure if I should start a new thread or add on here. 

GSAS Residence hall looks like the most affordable option, compared to the other Harvard Housing rentals. Any advice?

I think most people look to rent their own place in Somerville or Cambridge.  It's not cheap to live anywhere in Boston, but getting an apartment is cheaper than the Harvard housing options. 

Thanks! That makes sense. The website mentioned coming to Cambridge for the interviews for US applicants, which is why the time frame seemed condensed. But maybe that's just an option if you're local. This falls into the category of things I should have emailed to inquire about a month ago but didn't because emailing people about logistical details can be intimidating, but is something I need to get over. Good luck to you!

Hey! Heard from them yet? 

Hi all, 

Congrats to all those admitted! I got an acceptance for MPA/ID.

Anybody attending the New Admit Day? I read HKS is providing funding and housing for New Admit Day. Can anybody tell me how to go about it?

Hi all, 

Congrats to all those admitted! I got an acceptance for MPA/ID.

Anybody attending the New Admit Day? I read HKS is providing funding and housing for New Admit Day. Can anybody tell me how to go about it?

Congrats! I was admitted to the MPP program. In your admissions letter on the App Status site, it shows a link where you can request travel funds and housing. 

Hello Everyone!  I called CPL on the 12th and was told all interview invites had been extended already.  Interviews are happening this week.  Emails/Letters to rejected candidates are supposed to be sent out within the next 2-3 weeks. 

Hello Everyone!  I called CPL on the 12th and was told all interview invites had been extended already.  Interviews are happening this week.  Emails/Letters to rejected candidates are supposed to be sent out within the next 2-3 weeks. 

Thanks socialimpact! That is helpful to learn.