Class issue

Pumpkin27

So I had a really uncomfortable class a week ago and I'm really unhappy and don't know how to proceed. I have the next class soon so any advice would be appreciated!

I have a very set in his way professor with very opinionated views who does not seem open to discussion, unless it fits his opinions. I've asked some serious, exploring questions and gotten treated very rudely, including being laughed at by the professor and other students.

I asked the professor to talk with me after class and he was pretty dismissive. I told him I felt uncomfortable with what had happened and he was all like "well you had a good point."

I don't feel like I'm learning much and don't like the atmosphere where honest questions are ridiculed.

have this professor in the future and am investigating avoiding future classes with him. A friend from another school suggested emailing him but I don't know if its worth it and I don't want it to affect my grade. My current plan is just to do very well on the assignments and participate once a session so my participation grade won't be affected. Any suggestions? Am I overreacting? Should I just ignore this?

I have enountered a few people, professors and students alike, who are pretty closed when it comes to accepting the opinions of others. The "cheap shot" has happened as well. Since I tend to be a little more conservative than the average bear in the profession, I know that every time I open my mouth in class I'm exposing myself to being sniped by a classmate. Sometimes it's delivered with some tact, other times it's not. I've learned to pick my battles. I think you should participate enough to get your participation grade, but for your own sake, keep it less controversial if possible, since it seems to bother you.

You've already approached the professor outside of class. I don't think emailing him to discuss the situation again would get you very far. Perhaps try to view this as an isolated incident and hope that your classmates will be less inclined to cheap shot you in the future. You do have the right to defend yourself if they do.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup exactly what lifesaver said and I happen to be more right-leaning than most as well, so I get it and know I am exposing myself a little as well. My advice, and i'm sorry this may come off snarly on the internet, is to get over it and grow thick skin. Social policy class is not like the other social work classes we take where feelings are talked about. 

Personally I think it sounds like you are overreacting.  I have been in much more heated discussions than that in classes.  You need to develop a thicker skin than that in social work because people are going to have very differing opinions.

1-I agree with the other thoughts that you do need to consider your participation and take care of yourself academically. Your thoughts on that particular topic were valid and it does seem odd that it wasn't opened for some dialog. But sounds like the instructor was maybe more interested in keeping to the class-time-task?  

2-Don't take offense to an open comment. Opinions are everywhere and we don't have to agree or like them.

If that was actually what the person said, however, I think that it says more about them than you.

Let it go - you probably can find someone else who might actually discuss the topic if you look around for them.

-- good luck with the class!

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses. As to growing a thicker skin, I expect my peers in class to speak to each other respectfully and not be rude because it is cool or makes the professor laugh.

Unfortunately this class has gotten a lot worse in several respects (we've covered no material, the professor allowed people to present a conspiracy theory as a project, we know all about the professor's personal issues, he's encouraged illegal behavior, etc.) so I'm staying quiet and hoping to get a good grade and avoid the professor in the future.

I'm curious as to what you count as a conspiracy theory. It could be completely true that this professor is to set in his ways and allowing for some rude behavior in class. But it's also possible that you're the one being on the stubborn side. Whenever I've felt defensive in a class I have taken it as a chance to reevaluate my beliefs.

I'm not saying that you need to change you beliefs or anything, but part of class work is having your beliefs challenged. It's a good growing opportunity, whether it helps you see a new light or if it helps you strengthen your original ideas.

You should feel free to voice your opinions in class, but always expect to defend those opinions. Sometimes there are rude people in the class, but oh well, learn how to defend your argument. And also don't just dismiss what someone is saying, maybe it sounds rude to you but it could be a subject they're passionate about.

Sorry if this seems like a ramble.

The conspiracy issue was so far out there that to post it would immediately identify me to anyone else from the school/class, and I'm trying to stay a bit more anonymous. It was very far out and I was not the only person who was concerned.

I've been very careful to evaluate how I'm contributing to this issue, hence why I've stayed in the class, spoke to the professor, tried to ask questions when appropriate, spoke to mentors, done some investigating into my own attitudes, etc.

I think it simply a poor match and that I value different things in a learning environment than what he wants to cultivate. I'm pretty much allergic to one upmanship and that's a problem in general in graduate school, I'm learning! I'll avoid the professor in the future.

I wanted to update in case anyone has similar situations (I'd searched a bit here before posting and didn't find too much)- My advisor was wonderful and really understood where I was coming from and stated she'd had similar complaints about the classroom environment. I made sure to be very respectful and very open about my part in this (everything has multiple parts!) and we came away with a good resolution. If there's a concern, please bring it up in a kind and respectful manner to people! Its a wonderful learning opportunity for everyone. :)

I realize you've resolved this issue, but I'm going to give my $00.02 anyways:

- If he is encouraging illegal behavior, bring this up to whichever review board you need to, and additionally, the NASW.  We have a code of ethics we must adhere to as social workers, even professors.

- If he is just making you feel uncomfortable, deal with it.  Lots of learning happens when you're put in uncomfortable situations (i.e., exposed to contraversal opinions).  Speak your mind, if you don't like his response, respond in turn. You're an adult, you're aloud to voice your opinion, as long as it's constructive and not derailing the class (that's selfish).  I've got several professors just like that, I go toe to toe with them anytime a situation presents itself, and because of this, our class has some pretty great discussions.  If everyone just bit their lip, or blindly agreed with them (I know just the time of students you're talking about), you're learning nothing at worst or creating clones of the professor at best.  Either way everybody loses.

Social workers have to play in the gray areas all the time, mix it up!

• 6 months later...