Decision to Make Regarding Real Analysis

millerwjr

Greetings Grad Cafe Peeps,

I am an undergrad triple-major in Finance, Info-Systems and Math. I currently have a 4.0, but I am about to lose it (I've come to terms with this already...).

My goal is to apply, and hopefully be accepted, to a grad/PhD program here in Colorado for Applied Statistics.

Real Analysis I is required by the math department here in order to graduate with a Math degree, but I've struggled the entire way - I've created two separate weekly study groups and dedicated 26 hours per week for studying... And I'm still barely scraping by. It's likely I will barely pass (if at all). I've gone to the instructor, but he talks so far over our heads we may as well not be in the room. He's obviously smart, but very difficult to follow. I also understand this is a very difficult subject to teach.

So, the question is: will a single 'C' (or lower) in this class drop me out of the running for a non-ivy-league school? Or should I just suck it up and move on?

Thanks in advance!

- M

Real Analysis is hard for everyone. It is a really tough course. Do the best you can! One grade will not ruin your application.

unless you are an esteemed alumni of this course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_55

then the real analysis us mere mortals take is a cake walk for them. Of course, as long as you have good grades in tough courses, a C will not harm you. Though, getting an A in Real analysis is something i'd bet mathematics adcoms look for.