Two professors/programs at same school

backtoschool13

Wondering if anyone can provide info on this situation.

I'm applying to ecology PhD programs for fall, and almost all require contacting and identifying a faculty member who would serve as your advisor, likely provide funding, etc in order to be admitted. I emailed Professor A about a month ago and didn't hear back. So as of a few days ago, I had written off applying to that school.

On Monday, I saw a posting for a PhD position with a different Professor B, same university. I was really interested in the project, contacted him, and was encouraged to apply. I would be applying to the school's Zoology department. Randomly enough, later that day Professor A responded to my email, is looking for a grad student next year, and we set up a time to talk next week. He is also a Zoology faculty member, but if working with him I would apply to Aquatic & Marine Science program. I'm just wondering if during our talk, I should disclose that I'm interested in another professor's project at the school. I don't know if that would be the professional thing to do? Or should I not bring it up and potentially apply to both departments at the school? I would orefer applying to both, as I am interested in both professors and their research. I just feel conflicted and don't know if it's frowned upon in any way since the professors are at the same institution. thanks!

So Professor A is a Zoology faculty member but you can't work with him unless you apply to Aquatic & Marine Sciences? Are you sure?

If Professor A can't work with you in the Zoology program, could Professor B advise you if you applied to Aquatic & Marine Sciences?

Maybe you could try emailing either the Zoology or Aquatic & Marine Sciences program office and ask an administrator if you would be free to work with Profs A & B if you applied to Zoology (or A&MS). You could circumvent any awkward territory by asking an administrator about your situation, rather than telling Prof A or B that you are also interested in Prof B or A (respectively).

I think the only reason to not tell both professors about the other is if the two projects are different enough that you are afraid you will appear unfocussed / don't know what you want if you tell them you are interested in A's work and B's work.

So, unless you feel another compelling reason to not disclose it, I think you should tell both professors that you are interested in both projects. It's normal to be interested in more than one professor at a school, especially if you think both professors are good research matches. This is not much different than applying to more than one school -- no professor expects that their student is interested in them and them only. In fact, when you contact one professor at a school, they will often point you to other professors they know as well so that you talk to as many professors within your interest as possible. 

Summary: You don't have to be secretive about who you are talking to. Professors expect students, especially good ones, to seek out as many opportunities as they can and pick the best fit for them. 

Thanks for the feedback!

pasteltomato, I don't know if it's impossible for students to work with Prof A in Zoology, he said most of his students come through A&MS. The advantage I would see applying to both separate programs is that I would be able to write much more developed SOPs, one for each professor. But you're right, maybe an admin would be good to contact to ask about logistics.

TakeruK, The research areas are not wildly disparate, both aquatic community ecology. A big difference is the Prof B is looking for a PhD student to work on a specific project that has already been started. I think I am likely overthinking it, like you said they expect students to be reaching out to as many professors they are interested in as is feasible. I felt awkward because this was the first time where I have had the situation of being interested in two potential advisors at the same school and communicating with them at the same time. Thanks for putting it into perspective.