Describe personal qualities and attributes, and plans to improve if any

BunnyMeadows

I just had to answer this on a Personal Statement that I sent off yesterday. 

I rewrote it so many times. I was debating whether or not to discuss growing up with a parent who struggled with mental illness (and was hospitalized several times) as one demonstration of resilience.

For the personal qualities question, I wanted to be really honest and not say something like "Oh, I work too hard" or "I'm too focused."  So I wrote about boundaries but I didn't use the "B" word. I said that as an inherently nice person, I have a tendency to do "too much" for others - e.g. giving up too much of time. I explained that I'm working with a therapist to develop better strategies and responses so that I can maintain a healthy work/life balance. 

I hope that doesn't sound shady or anything. As I said, I wanted to be honest.

I also briefly mentioned that I don't enjoy public speaking, but have joined Toastmasters to work on those skills. 

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Bunny

I think it's better to be genuine in the personal statement, like you were, than to write something an admissions board may have heard hundreds of times, such as the "I work too hard" route. Being genuine yet professional allows the university to more see who you are and how much of a fit you will be in their program. I don't think what you submitted sounds shady.