Asked to state clear dissertation topic in SOP

Looking for some input on how others have approached this.  I think most of us are going in to PhD apps with a pretty good idea of our area of research, which is easy to address in an SOP.  However I was told by my POI for one of my apps that I need to provide a clear statement outlining my prospective dissertation topic in my SOP.  This troubles me because I feel it could be really limiting when it comes to the adcomm. I was always told that a clear but rather generalized approach to research topics is best because it won't pigeon hole you at admissions review.  Not only that, but I am not in a position to have a clear dissertation topic. In fact, I have a good idea of what I would write at this minute, but in 2-3 years from now, after coursework and comps and committee selection and and and... I am sure my clear topic I put down right now will change 5 times by then.  I know some will say it is just to give them an idea of what your focus is, but to be so specific right now?  I know they have to know it will change over time.  I feel like this is a recipe for a rejection....thoughts? experiences?

Edited by flyingewe

If you've been asked to state a clear topic, then do that. Don't worry about how it might change after coursework (the adcom and your POI both know this is a reality for everyone they admit). Do what you've been asked to do. And, make sure you demonstrate that the program/university has the resources you need to do whatever project you outline (library resources, research centers/institutes on campus, appropriate faculty for your committee).

You could include a dissertation idea but phrase it more like "One idea that I have developed is XXX (Write a paragraph about a potential idea). Though I have developed project ideas, my interests are not limited to this specific topic." I do something like this in my SOPs where I outline a potential project idea that I could enjoy working on. I think this shows that I can come up with good ideas and also gives the committee an idea of the sort of projects that I would like to work on. I include a couple lines though explaining that this is just one of many projects that I would be interested in pursuing.