EECS-Applications 2015

foofunc

Hi guys!

I was just wondering whether you have heard back from eecs-programs such as call for interviews or even unofficial acceptances from POIs since I still have no news. Sharing your experience could help us either calm our anxiety or start preparing ourselves for the worst :P

Any comments on the whole process regarding eecs departments are pretty welcome as well!

I have an interview with a UC Berkeley professor! 

ECE PhD program

May I ask for further information such as:

1)do you know whether admission in eecs-berkeley is contingent upon interviews?

2)how many days in advance were you informed about the interview?

Thanks in advance, your answer would be extremely helpful :)

Thanks in advance, your answer would be extremely helpful :)

I am not sure if admission to the EECS at UCB depends on interviews. However, it is extremely common to be interviewed before admissions. Surely, if you say something remarkably stupid (i.e. "I'm pursuing a PhD because Dr. Escadoula sounds cool"), then don't be surprised if that results in a rejection.

I was informed about the interview today. Official acceptance letters are sent the beginning of February.

Edited by RP15

I am not sure if admission to the EECS at UCB depends on interviews. However, it is extremely common to be interviewed before admissions. Surely, if you say something remarkably stupid (i.e. "I'm pursuing a PhD because Dr. Escadoula sounds cool"), then don't be surprised if that results in a rejection.

I was informed about the interview today. Official acceptance letters are sent the beginning of February.

thanks a lot, good luck with your interview! You seem to be a strong candidate :)

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from someone that UC Berkeley has a shortlist of applicants and interviews them. After conducting the interviews they choose which of them to accept. So, if you didn't receive an interview chances of getting accepted are slim. 

Has anyone heard from Illinois? They were one of the earlier ones last year as far as I can tell.

I applied to their CS program, and heard back a couple of weeks ago. I think the time you hear back is largely dependent on the POI. 

I applied to their CS program, and heard back a couple of weeks ago. I think the time you hear back is largely dependent on the POI.

Sorry, should have been more specific, I was asking about EE (AFAIK their departments are seperate)

Edited by icelandicsamurai

I agree that no interview = slim chance of getting accepted (for UCB). The UC Berkeley prof that interviewed me told me that it's standard to interview first.

Edited by RP15