UT, UNC, Pitt, VCU, and Catholic

hla003

Hi All! The above are the schools I've applied to. Just wondering if anyone has heard back from any of them. I was accepted to Pitt already because I did their wacky early submission guaranteed admission deal. Has anyone heard anything about Pitt? Is it a good program that people like? Hopefully it's not my only choice!

Hey have you checked out the results page? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=social+workyou can see if people are starting to hear back for this app cycle and you can also go back a few application cycles to see if there's a trend in what dates decisions seem to come out for certain schools.

:) you're welcome. Warning - it's super easy to go through like all 95 pages of the results. lol. But i found it interesting to see the trends of when schools have sent out their decisions in the past so I could get an idea of when to potentially expect emails/letters...

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from VCU? Because of the location, its a top choice for me. On their website it says that their admission decision is April 15th, which is basically when I will have had to already commit to another school! 

Hey I'm a BSW student at VCU right now. I heard today that they're still on track to get decisions out in April so it's going to be awhile  :(

On the plus side though, VCU is an amazing school & great social work program! We recently moved to a beautiful new building and have been making huge strides the last few years to improve the program. I have LOVED LOVED LOVED all of my professors, classmates, and SSW staff. VCU has a really diverse and open-minded culture with meshes well with us social work-y people. Hope you get in and choose to go there! :)

Hey I'm a BSW student at VCU right now. I heard today that they're still on track to get decisions out in April so it's going to be awhile  :(

On the plus side though, VCU is an amazing school & great social work program! We recently moved to a beautiful new building and have been making huge strides the last few years to improve the program. I have LOVED LOVED LOVED all of my professors, classmates, and SSW staff. VCU has a really diverse and open-minded culture with meshes well with us social work-y people. Hope you get in and choose to go there! :)

Thank you for your response! That is great to hear. Do you have any idea if it is a good fit or someone wanting to go the counselor route eventually? I assume so with the Clinical concentration.

@hla003 Yes. Our clinical program is what we're known for and is the strongest. The other track S.W.A.P.P. (Policy/Macro) is not as strong. The internship I'm at right now at a domestic & sexual violence agency has 3 clinical MSWs there too (from VCU) who are all seeing clients on their own for counseling. As far as I know, once you are in your clinical concentration year (2nd year) you'll be in a placement with opportunities to counsel and receiving weekly supervision from an MSW or LCSW. Also- Richmond has a huge nonprofit sector which means LOTS of field placement sites!

@hla003 Yes. Our clinical program is what we're known for and is the strongest. The other track S.W.A.P.P. (Policy/Macro) is not as strong. The internship I'm at right now at a domestic & sexual violence agency has 3 clinical MSWs there too (from VCU) who are all seeing clients on their own for counseling. As far as I know, once you are in your clinical concentration year (2nd year) you'll be in a placement with opportunities to counsel and receiving weekly supervision from an MSW or LCSW. Also- Richmond has a huge nonprofit sector which means LOTS of field placement sites!

Awesome! All your insider info is making me want to go there even more! Thank you!

Ah! I see two people have gotten in on the results page! Have you heard anything?

Yup, I heard back on Monday that I got in. It was a group email- very weird! (everyone was BCC'd on it). Hope you hear soon!

Yup, I heard back on Monday that I got in. It was a group email- very weird! (everyone was BCC'd on it). Hope you hear soon!

Congrats! Wonder if it was all Advanced Standing students? Now I'm extra anxious to hear!

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard today that I'm in.  But now I need to decide between VCU (in-state tuition for me), Columbia or Michigan.  Any thoughts?

Also, I am dealing with the same dilemma...I got into Austin, where I would LOVE to live. I ultimately decided its not worth the extra debt when I will be coming out to a low paying job. Tough, though!